PDA

View Full Version : black glow?

jhopfenblatt
04-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Sorry, I know I also posted this in the General Discussion forum, but in the end I figured it was the wrong forum to post it on. Besides, this one seems to be more active. :cool:

Here it is again:

I was just wondering if anybody has any clue on how to get black materials/textures to glow. I'm using the video tutorial on how to make 2-point-poly-chain electricity-looking stuff, and the 2-point polys as I have them are black, which is the way I want them. Well, I understand that a "black glow" is kinda oxymoronic since the color black is technically the absence of light/color, but I don't see why it'd be impossible for me to make something glow black using some sort of spiffy and/or obscure lightwave command. :D

Just as background information, I'm one of the worst texturers you'll ever encounter, as well as a newb to lightwave, so I apologize beforehand if this is something blatantly obvious and simple. :(

Any help is appreciated.

Mylenium
04-21-2005, 01:48 AM
You could try Corona tied to a special buffer... Otherwise you could always make your lightnings white, add glow and then invert them. That of course only works if you render it separately from your other animation.

Mylenium

cmann_2000
04-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Since the glow is a post processing effect, it's easy to run into trouble. For example, with lightsabers, the glows can cancel each other out and leave you with problems. There's a few ways around the problem, kinda: 1, the tedious photoshopping of every frame, 2, creating a shell and applying a special texture to it, 3, something that I'm overlooking and would love to learn.
I think that by creating a shell you'll have the most luck. For example, I put together a 2 pt poly chain with glow-like effects by creating the chain, creating a subdivided shell that matched it, metalinking it, then quickly creating a shaking effect with soft or cloth effects and applying a transparency gradient based on incident angle or an edge transparency shader.
I wasn't really happy with the result, but it's as close as I could get to a black glow. There's probably better ways and faster ways too.

jhopfenblatt
04-21-2005, 02:58 AM
I guess that for this case I'll have to go with the tedious photoshopping, considering that I'll I'm making is a still picture, heheheh. Shouldn't take any more than a few minutes as long as I set the poly chains to a color that's nowhere else on the picture, and then just apply a color overlay and glow in photoshop. However, I'll explore the other suggestions that you have offered (I need to learn how to texture stuff properly anyway), so by all means keep dropping suggestions if you have 'em. :cool:

Thanks for the input.