PDA

View Full Version : metal surface?

smmuck
04-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Hello all, im working with a simple metal robot and im begining to start creating metal surfaces. I am less familiar with surfacing and texturing so I thought I would ask you guys if anyone has any tips for me. I am not worried about super complex ways to create these metal surfaces (although im sure it would pay off), i am relativley new to lightwave so any super complex methods will probably throw me for a loop. mostly how to achive nice semi dull metal finish with Procedural Textures. Any good metal stuff will do rust is good all that stuff, Any other suggestions would also be much appreciated.
thanx again
sm
ps The metals i am thinking of are brass, bronze, steel and iron :confused:

Wonderpup
04-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi smmuck,

Why not apply one of the metal surface presets that ships with Lightwave and then play around with the settings- this can be a great way to learn about surfaces.

The other thing to be aware of is kind of obvious but it's caught me out in the past- if you create a reflective surface you must give it something to reflect!

smmuck
04-21-2005, 11:07 PM
what are the metal surface presets (im art student and im using the schools computers) so i am un-familiar with those presets and all that comes with the program when you buy it. Where would i go about finding them? Im working with LW8 on a mac if that changes anything? thank you for the feed back i will begin my hunt for those metal presets....
thanx again!
sm :D

Teedo
04-21-2005, 11:21 PM
When you have surface editor open, push F8 for the preset and in the dropdown menu choose metal, double click on a preset to apply it to the surface currently selected in surface editor

EDIT: This is how to do it on windows, no idea if its different for mac

smmuck
04-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Wow thanx alot! I never knew lightwave had preset surfaces! I know they are kinda generic but its a great jump off point! This really helps me alot thank you guys very much!!! :D
thanx again
sm

mattclary
04-22-2005, 11:32 AM
The secret to good metal is make it reflective and give it something good to reflect. A reflective surface with a black background won't look like a reflective surface.