PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed, coin animation.

PaulJS
04-23-2003, 07:42 AM
Hi all,

I need to make an animation where a round logo, would roll into shot and stop much like a coin does if you rolled it. so it would roll slowly turn into a spiral before resting oin it's side. I have the logo following a spiral curve and have an expression controlling its rotation, however im not sure how to bank the logo(as the coin gets closer to its end it would be banked so it would rest on its side) any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Matt
04-23-2003, 10:33 AM
that's a tough one!!!

keyframing would be a nightmare, have you tried using motion designer?

never used it myself, I hear it's a pain to use, but some of the results I've seen are pretty damn good!

demo3d
04-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Try attaching the coin to null objects. You'll probably need at least 3. #1 will move the coin into place. #2 will control the rotation front to back. #3 will control the rotation side to side. assign an oscillating motion (back and forth on 1 axis) for nulls 2 & 3. Offset the keys for nulls 2 and 3 so that where one is at 0, the other is fully tilted. I haven't tried it yet, myself. But it seems that the rotations should combine to produce the proper precession effect. The coin can still be rotated so that it appears to roll around in circles (The amount depends on the friction of the ground against the coin. Play with it for the right effect.) The amplitude of the "waves" of keys for nulls 2 & 3 should be reduced gradually to zero. And null 1 will move downward to keep the edge of the coin on the ground. Remember that for every rotation the coin will move forward a distance of 3.1416 (pi) times the diameter.