PDA

View Full Version : One more rendering option: OGL

Lamont
04-20-2005, 06:22 PM
I would like to render out the scene through the camera and just use OGL with textures, transparencies and reflections. Not just shaded objects w/no textures. An option to supress the nulls/lights/cameras/splines/grid whatever would be great.

Karmacop
04-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah, like quickshade only much better :)

othornton
05-03-2005, 12:03 AM
You read my mind!
I was so desperately wanting a render of my viewing resolution (whatever that may be) in OGL. Reason being particles that were showing in my OGL aren't rendering in the scene. I wanted to render it out to show other LWavers that I wasn't crazy and that LW wasn't rendering all my particles! Alas the feature is not available, so I must continue to sound insane.

-OThornton

cgbloke2004
05-03-2005, 05:45 AM
wild shot, but cant you make a ogl preview [with everything turned on] and then save it?
i know lw runs out of memory or something if the preview is too long, but then i suppose ou could break it up into smaller 'segments' of frames, and then put them back together in post..
reflections might be an issue obviously [unless spherical mapped per surface..]

i've probably got the wrong end of the stick though..

Gollum
05-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Yeah, such a mode would be valuable to have. :cool:

While we're on the topic of OGL, I've also been wondering why there isn't a GPU accelerated rendermode yet. Today's GPUs are so powerfull and flexible, that it seems like a waste not to use them to speed up calculations. Their parallel nature makes them an ideal target for rendering, no? :confused:

JML
05-03-2005, 07:42 AM
wild shot, but cant you make a ogl preview [with everything turned on] and then save it?

You could do that, but you won't be able to use your renderfarm with this method.

when we show previz to the client, we render quickshade on the renderfarm.
(rendering with openGL on a single computer is too much time consuming)
I agree it will be nice to have another option like "slowshade" that would render
textures too..
and also how about hidden line render too ?
(instead of converting each of all your objects manually in the object properties )

(those options would not be openGL though)
and how about having the GPU help the CPU while rendering too, that would be great too..