PDA

View Full Version : GPU Gems 2

Vincenzo
04-20-2005, 05:55 PM
I just got this book and it looks real interesting. Some of the things covered include using clipmaps and vertex textures to perform large scale terrain rendering, implementing mental images hair engine in the graphics cards GPU, and using the GPU to implement radiosity calculations. Hope I get enough time to read all the articles.

Vincenzo

somnambulance
04-22-2005, 09:00 AM
So does the book go mostly over programing? Did you read the first one?

Vincenzo
04-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah;

All the articles focus on using vertex and pixel shaders to do or implement various features or effects. The articles also assume that the reader has a good understanding of at least higher level pixel and vertex shader languages. Some deal with assembly language vs and psers. Yeah I read the first two articles so far, but am gonna jump around alot now. Think I am gonna read the article on optimized rendering of Catmill Clark sub D surfaces.

Vincenzo

WizCraker
05-10-2005, 04:00 AM
It is a good book, but just reading the chapters with a glazed eye does not mean you comprehind what is exactly going on. Every one of the chapters or topics tell the reader how they were achived with the math behind it. And to recreate you need to know a lot of Calculus and higher. If you are looking for a good read that is half eye candy and techno babble with a lot of math mixed in its a good book.

Almost matches up with PBRT book.