PDA

View Full Version : Sudden change from registered mode to demo!

Moviedirector20
04-23-2003, 08:00 AM
Hello,
I have a problem. A few weeks ago when i started lightwave 7.5 everything was fine it said I was registered and I was happy. But now when i started up LW it says I am in demo mode! So I retrieve the email i orginally got from newtek when i registered and looked at license.key, that was fine too. Please help me

mattclary
04-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Maybe your dongle died?

Moviedirector20
04-23-2003, 11:12 AM
2 things, first of all what in heck's name is a dongle and 2 how do i fix it

Heimhenge
04-23-2003, 12:44 PM
The dongle is the little plastic deal that plugs into your USB port and validates your copy of LW as registered.

I found, much to my dismay, that disabling my parallel port in the BIOS to free up an IRQ caused LW not to initialize, as though the dongle was no longer there. Turns out there's legacy code in the dongle driver that makes it still look for the parallel port. Older dongles plugged in to the parallel port, you see. Newer ones are USB, but they still look for the parallel port.

You didn't by any chance turn off your parallel port, did you?

mattclary
04-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Moviedirector, how is it you don't know what a dongle is? Also, did this problem start when you applied the 7.5c patch?

Moviedirector20
04-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Thank you for telling me what a dongle is. I know what it is i just never heard it called a dongle. I have the USB version of it. Do I have to Have it plugged in all the time? i thought it was just for instillation!

VWTornado
04-23-2003, 01:52 PM
the dongle has to be plugged in ANY time Lightwave is started. i just leave mine on all the time.

thekho
04-23-2003, 02:59 PM
I was similar to your problem. When my dongle is on , so everything is fine but when my dongle is remove, so Lightwave turned to demo mode.

You should leave to your dongle on your computer all the time.

MorituriMax
04-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by mattclary
Moviedirector, how is it you don't know what a dongle is? Also, did this problem start when you applied the 7.5c patch?

Uhh, 7.5< c > ?

I thought .b was the latest version...

Lamont
04-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Oh man.. this was funny.

mattclary
04-28-2003, 08:49 AM
OOPS, yeah, I meant "b".

videoblaze
04-30-2003, 08:40 PM
Moviedirector: The dongle needs to have drivers installed and running before all the magic will work. If you are running Windows XP or have upgraded to XP, the (Rainbow?) dongle driver that is installed off the Lightwave CD is not current enough to properly support XP. Search the threads for dongle driver, I read all this in another thread . . .

Just a tip for you.

MorituriMax
04-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by mattclary
OOPS, yeah, I meant "b".

darn!

videoblaze
05-01-2003, 12:16 PM
You can easily download the latest Sentinel drivers from Rainbow's site www.rainbow.com

It shouldn't be a big 'darn' for you . . . unless you are connected via a 300 baud modem [laugh].

VWTornado
05-01-2003, 01:35 PM
I am baffled why so many people need the latest drivers from Sentinel for there dongles. I have a parallel dongle that I got with Lightwave 6.0 that I've had for years now. I have never once updated my drivers and I have NEVER had problems with Lightwave not working. I was using Windows 98SE then, and XP Pro now.

videoblaze
05-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Perhaps the dongle driver issue is related to USB dongles rather than parallel port dongles?

mattclary
05-02-2003, 07:08 AM
Yeah, I just upgraded to 7.5 and am running the dongle drivers from the 6.5 install. I guess theoretically 7.5 could have updated them, but if it did it was so fast I didn't notice.

VWTornado
05-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by videoblaze
Perhaps the dongle driver issue is related to USB dongles rather than parallel port dongles?

Well I'm glad I have a parallel dongle then! ;) I'd be really annoyed spending $1000 on a program and it not working right because of some stupid security device they decided to throw on it.

Thalaxis
05-06-2003, 10:53 PM
I'm having the same problem, with two machines that I had LW running on quite happily. It's apparently not aware of the fact that my dongle is connected, even though the Windows XP (Home) device manager tells me that it's installed and working properly -- on both machines.

And it was working quite nicely on both machines just last week,
and of course I only ran it with the dongle drivers installed.

Is there any way to determine whether or not the dongle is deceased?

Dangerman
05-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Thalaxis asked:
Is there any way to determine whether or not the dongle is deceased?

If it's a parralel dongle, turn off the machine before messing with it. Make sure the dongle is fully inserted, and try again. If that doesn't work, swap the dongles between the two machines, in case somebody's swapped them inadvertently. Each dongle is unique and they're not interchangable.

If that doesn't work, double check that your ports are OK, a parallel port has to have an IRQ assigned and be in the appropriate mode. Don't know what's best, but mine is in ECP with IRQ 7 (Windows is set to 'never use an IRQ' hmmmmm) It works.

If plugging it in tight/messing with all the settings/double checking the ports/swapping the dongles doesn't work, I'd assume your dongle is deceased ... I'd work with NewTek at that point ... they can double check your results and replace it if it's gone 'Tango Uniform'.

Good luck

PS since 'both machines' are failing, I'm betting that the dongles have been swapped. Seems unlikely that they would both die at the same time.

uberslayer™
05-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Too many hardware locks just cause trouble. Apply a patch to stop LW looking for the dongle. I've even managed to write a patch for maya 4 unlimited (also sentinal). But I am a bad man a very very bad man.................................

Thalaxis
05-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Dangerman

PS since 'both machines' are failing, I'm betting that the dongles have been swapped. Seems unlikely that they would both die at the same time.

It's a USB dongle. I tried using it on both of my machines, with no success.

Dangerman
05-08-2003, 12:28 AM
Sounds to me like you've found a dead dongle. On some other thread, I saw people talking about various USB dongle issues, and it sounded like there may be tools you can get from the rainbow site (sorry, don't know the url) that will let you see if the drivers can see it.

If you've updated the drivers, I understand that a common problem is installing the USB driver only, which will not work. You have to install both parallel and USB for a usb dongle ... I've only got the parallel so I avoided that one.

Good luck,

Thalaxis
05-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Dangerman
Sounds to me like you've found a dead dongle. On some other thread, I saw people talking about various USB dongle issues, and it sounded like there may be tools you can get from the rainbow site (sorry, don't know the url) that will let you see if the drivers can see it.

Hm... I'll check into that. I tried launching Aura, and it gave me the standard "register your Aura" dialog, complete with a key, which made no sense since I have already registered it (it took 3 months for NewTek to get me a serial number...). That lead me to believe that Aura was at least seeing the dongle.

If you've updated the drivers, I understand that a common problem is installing the USB driver only, which will not work. You have to install both parallel and USB for a usb dongle ... I've only got the parallel so I avoided that one.

I ran into that; I tried installing just the USB driver, and LightWave would not even launch. When I reinstalled with both the USB and parallel drivers, LightWave launched in demo mode.

VWTornado
05-08-2003, 09:36 AM
I wonder if you can still get a parallel dongle from Newtek or Rainbow? It seems they have so many less issues than that USB crap. I have a parallel dongle and have never once had ANY issue on any version of Windows OR Lightwave.

Thalaxis
05-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by VWTornado
I wonder if you can still get a parallel dongle from Newtek or Rainbow? It seems they have so many less issues than that USB crap. I have a parallel dongle and have never once had ANY issue on any version of Windows OR Lightwave.

My laptop doesn't have a parellel port, so that wouldn't actually help me any, to be honest.

I'm going to have to bug NewTek about this one, I think; the only problem is the typical 1-12 week response time...