PDA

View Full Version : Rendering in Background?

nickej
04-20-2005, 11:48 AM
This may be an easy problem, but I can't figure out a way around it. I've got only the one computer (a dual-processor Athlon-based homebuild), so I need to use it for more than one thing at a time, regardless of the hit on render-times. I'm trying to figure out a way to set it so that when I'm rendering test-animations, I can use other programs without annoying little interruptions as the computer switches between active programs. The problem isn't one of processor-power, since my computer is more than capable of handling all the programs at once. Rather, it's one of the computer switching between programs unexpectedly. For example, I can't even use an e-mail program because the cursor vanishes every time a frame is saved, forcing me to reach for the mouse to resume work. On a quick-rendering test, I can sometimes have to reach for the mouse every other word or so, making text work very frustrating. Is there a way to have Lightwave render completely in the background and stay out of my hair while it does it??

Using 7.5d, Windows 2000 Pro

nickej
04-20-2005, 01:42 PM
DOH! "Turn off Render Display" seems to do the trick...
I've noticed that no matter how many days I may have worked on a problem, all I have to do to solve the thing is post a question here.....

SplineGod
04-20-2005, 10:59 PM
You can also run screamernet in mode 3 for local renders. DStorm has a free utility to control it on their site. :)

DoF
04-21-2005, 08:23 AM
An F10 renders fine in the background on my old G3 running OS X 10.3.9 I often have lots of other apps running concurrently with no problems, including sending and receiving mail, and browsing the www on Safari. :)

nickej
04-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Actually, because F10 renders are so fuss-free on a Mac is why I was originally trying to get the Win box to do the same thing. I have an old G4 Mac that I use a lot, but a bunch of helper applications for the current project are Win only (RealFlow, etc.).

I'm going to start investigating ScreamerNet pretty soon. Having never had the need to use it before, it's just one of those things that I haven't gotten around to yet....