PDA

View Full Version : Particle FX and ray tracing

Gabe
04-19-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm doing a scene in Lightwave that uses particle effects to create some sparks. The set has lot's of reflective surfaces. Is there a way to make the sparks show up in the reflections. I've been going through the manual and searching online but can't seem to crack this riddle. I'll take any direct approach or work around I can find. Thanks.

faulknermano
04-19-2005, 07:44 PM
try using HyperVoxels.. i'm assuming you are using partigons: i tried this and for some reason, single-point particles from partigon emitters dont show up. but using HVs will make it show through reflections.

Gabe
04-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the tip. Hypervoxels works great. I always thought they were just for smoke and fire type effects. Didn't occur to me to use them for sparks.

NanoGator
04-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Tip: I don't think (though I haven't tried it so maybe I'm blowing hot air, here) that simple streaky particles will reflect. Assuming they do not, this makes sense. I don't think they're actually creating a pixel in 3D, but rather more like a post-effect.

Corrections invited. I wouldn't call myself a particle guru.

colkai
04-24-2005, 04:15 AM
I think you're right, it's something to do with how they are "percieved" by the renderer I think.