PDA

View Full Version : texture errors on a mac mini

Macarthur
04-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi guys, I'm trying to render a mac mini and I'm having some texture weirdness

I'm an uber noob and need explaining really really slowly :)
I spent around 4 hours getting the shape right trying various methods then got it perfect.
I ended up using the rounder on a box deleting the unnecisary geometry for the corners and making polys of the top and bottoms.
(I think that this may have something to do with it but I really don't know.)

Ive started texturing and for some reason the texture along the top is giving me lots of grief. I'm not good enough to troubleshoot so I thought I would cry out to the masses here. :D

OK, so here is the picture of how it looks in layout
Http://www.flamingmonarch.com/preview.jpg

and here's what it renders
http://www.flamingmonarch.com/whatitrenders.jpg

The settings are a bit weird if I have luminosity at 0 everything is black, if I have it at 100 its pure white but shows the texture perfectly in preview.

I've used the auto scaling which has done a great job on all the other textures in the image and shows this texture to be a good size.

Here's the settings http://www.flamingmonarch.com/settings.jpg

I have recreated the texture in several file formats, and various sizes.

I don't think its the texture itself but how its displayed.
it could also be the top poly I created it by selecting every point along the top in a clockwise maner and Create>polygon>create polygon
like it says in the help, so its one poly for the top and its planar afaik.

Theres also this little white line around the top and bottom polys and I'm not sure what that is or how to make it go away.

one other question,
is there a way to make an infinite floor easily or do I just make a large flat mesh and pretend that its infinite.

If you need to see or read any different settings than the ones I have posted let me know so that I may assist you further.

Thanks for any help that you can give on this problem, its really bugging me.
-Daniel

simonbrewer
04-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Straight off the top of my head I would suggest going to the Light Properties panel (hit the Lights button at the bottom of Layout, and then press P) and check that you have a Distant Light in the scene with its intensity at 100%. LightWave has a Distant Light set at 100% in any scene by default so maybe you have somehow turned it off?

Also, in the Light Properties panel, check that the tickboxes for Affect Diffuse, and Affect Specular are ticked On.

In your Surface Editor, set Luminosity to 0% for now.

You should now at least see something in your scene when rendered.

Hope this helps!

Simon

Macarthur
04-19-2005, 03:06 PM
update
I had 4 lights added to the scene already so I took them out in favour of one light with your settigns

Ok I tried all your settings
and this is the result

http://www.flamingmonarch.com/result.jpg

Still confused :\ :confused:

simonbrewer
04-19-2005, 03:34 PM
ahh... sorry - slightly mis-interpreted your previous post...

hmmm... that black polygon is rendering strangely, isn't it?

Things to try:

1)
I would try tripling that top poly firstly, to see if something hasn't got screwed up somewhere. (modeler, shift-t to triple). LightWave usually copes with polys with lots of points well, but sometimes it gets confused. Tripling it will make the mesh look a bit messy but its a quick fix and will at least let you know if that its the problem. (save your model with a different name if you try this)

2)
Try selecting all the points in that part of the model and merging them.

3)
The white lines look to me like a lot of 2-point polys around the edge. You can get rid of them in Modeler by hitting "w" and selecting all the polys with 2 points in the info box, then delete them.

You mentioned you used Rounder... this plug-in has the effect of bevelling and smoothing off edges... I would use it with caution and then double-check all geometry afterwards to make sure you still have a clean mesh.

AFAIK there is no way to make an infinate plane object in LW (unlike other programs) - just make a large subdivided plane, scale it really big, and the add in some fog (coloured the same as the plane, with start and end distances set up) to hide the edges is an easy option...

Simon

Macarthur
04-19-2005, 04:49 PM
:eek:

Everything you suggested worked.
the whtie lines are gone, the top works,
the only thing that I did differently is I saved the updated top geometry as a new surface but it still worked!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS for your support! thats incredible! :cool: :cool:
I'm constantly amazed by this forum!

Macarthur
04-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Oh, heres the pic as it stands now, I'm thinking of adding more detail and actualy modeling the back panel instead of texturing.
Thanks so much
http://www.flamingmonarch.com/Fixed.jpg

simonbrewer
04-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey, you're welcome! - Glad I could help.. that's what we are all here for.

Its nice to see your model finally rendering properly.

Simon