PDA

View Full Version : Nurbs Modeling programming

zecryan
04-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Are there and good cheap, few hurdred dollars, Nurbs modeling tool that i can use along with lightwave?

mattclary
04-19-2005, 01:47 PM
I can't seem to find any cheap ones. Does XSI do nurbs? If so, it's probably the cheapest. All the others I found are close to $1000.

Ztreem
04-19-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure but what I heard XSI doesn't do NURBS, just SDS.

I think Rhino is the cheapest NURBS package around ($895, and $195 for a student license), but maybe there's a free open source project out there in cyberspace. :cool:

barnabythebear
04-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Yes!!!!

Check out The 3D Toolkit. The version of Modeller is a hybrid solids/surface modeller. It exports .fact that LW can import. Best of all is it's only $99!!! Plus u get a version of Electric Image too, plus loads of tutorials.

www.dvgarage.com

ta

nige.

cresshead
04-19-2005, 03:38 PM
xsi does do nurbs...not great but not bad either...better than 3dsmax's native nurbs for sure!

rhino is probably best at nurbs for a visual usage...
3dsmax has powersolids..a plugin that can use create brep models..
powershape...from delcam..about 5000
alias studio tools ...has a ple version....
alias maya ple...good nurbs toolset

cinema 4d...has nurbs, though not sure how good they are...

-NG-
04-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Aren't nurbs a little bit outdated? I Prefer SubD's and...bezier curves (roots from illustrator and ps).

Ztreem
04-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Aren't nurbs a little bit outdated? I Prefer SubD's and...bezier curves (roots from illustrator and ps).

Maybe in animation but not when working with industrialdesign(car design, product design) then NURBS is the only option if you want to have total control over your surfaces.

Silkrooster
04-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Not really If you like bezier curves, then you should love nurbs after all nurbs are bezier curves for all three axises at the same time and they are always reeditable.
A low end nurbs modeler that I can think of is Truespace. It a little buggy, but it will convert nurbs to polys most of the time. It can also load and save to Lightwave format. It's the older format I think ver 5.
Silk

kike01
04-19-2005, 05:04 PM
>I think Rhino is the cheapest NURBS package around ($895, and $195 for a student license),

and the best ;)

Ztreem
04-19-2005, 05:07 PM
>I think Rhino is the cheapest NURBS package around ($895, and $195 for a student license),

and the best ;)

Good but not best, Studiotools from Alias beats it big time. (but it's a little more expensive $10000-70000)

barnabythebear
04-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi again,

Just looked at the DVgarage site and see they do a 30 day trial version plus some free tutorials:

http://www.dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=3dtk&sub=samples

Really, really worth checking out.

ta

nige.

mokba
04-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Has anyone looked at, or tried, Amapi Pro? It doesn't appear, IMO, as rationally laid out as Rhino. mokba

Mr Mouse
04-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Blender 3d -free (never tried it - but alot of people recommend it, possibly considering the price) also incorporates the source code for Nurbana( a fully featured nurbs editor) created by Justin Shumaker

http://www.blender3d.com/cms/About%20Blender.20.0.html

...Modeling
A range of 3D object types including polygon meshes, NURBS surfaces, bezier and B-spline curves, metaballs, vector fonts (TrueType, PostScript, OpenType)
'Smooth proxy' style catmull-clark subdivision surfaces with optimal iso-lines display and sharpness editing
Mesh modeling based on vertex, edge and/or face selection
Boolean mesh functions
Editing functions such as extrude, bevel, cut, spin, screw, warp, subdivide, noise, smooth Soft selection editing tools for organic modeling
Python scripting access for custom tools|

There is an 800 page manual recommended that also supports Blender's development @ *39.00

--------------------------------
Amapi - used to be very buggy on the mac, strange interface, a milliion miles away from the clarity of Lightwave. Badly translated manual etc.
Very impressive tooset for the price.
Love it ore hate it reputation.
---------------------------------
Also of interest although not a nurbs tool is wings 3d also free http://www.wings3d.com/.
quote by a user: " The edge tools are currently unbeatable with anything i have seen in Maya or LW...both in speed and ease of use. These tools are essential for any organic modelling"
Alot of ZBrush users swear by it as a patch modeler - in particular with it's ease of use in adding edgeloops to zbrush mesh's derived from zspheres.

Not an application I have yet tried.

Gollum
04-23-2005, 06:27 AM
FormZ is very good for industrial design NURBS modeling, its expensive though...

Edit: About ZBrush, its an awesome program, but definitely NOT for solid surface modeling! Its modeling toolset it lightyears behind LW, Modo, Silo or Wings. ZSpheres are a nice intuitive way to lay down base geometry for you to scupt from, but that's about it. The edgeloop feature is basically a glorified bevel without the offset and its not exactly intuitive to use. ZBrush is, at least IMO, a perfect sculpting, but not a good modeling tool...

Mr Mouse
04-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Gollum, I agree for the present with your summary on ZBrush as a stand-alone is correct for anyone involved in animating their mesh rather than using it for illustrative purposes.

Here's a couple of post's with regard it's integration with Silo, that are particularly interesting in relation to setting up edge loops etc etc.

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3174

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2786

vsele
04-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Try the latest release of MODO.... you can test the demo version for 30 days...it's full version and you can save the files in lightwave object...I' ve tried it and it's very handy and powerful...but I haven't the money to buy it..eheheehehe (695 $)...however it' s good.. :)

Yog
04-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Try the latest release of MODO.... you can test the demo version for 30 days...it's full version and you can save the files in lightwave object...I' ve tried it and it's very handy and powerful...but I haven't the money to buy it..eheheehehe (695 $)...however it' s good.. :)
I like Modo as well, great program, but .......
.... it doesn't support NURBS, and hand on heart I would have to say that it's spline patching isn't as good as LW.

XSI-Foundation's NURBS are quite good (not quite as good as Maya's from what I've heard), it's fairly cheep, and the NURBS to poly conversion is reasonably painless.