PDA

View Full Version : No-brainer!

GaryLW
04-23-2003, 03:48 AM
Err, can't see the wood for the trees and I was wondering if anyone can help out with an obvious answer.

I run Lightwave 6 (yes, but my company refuses to upgrade) and Mac G4 - how do you simply copy a colour ONLY in the Surface Editor in order to copy that colour to another surface?

Yes, yes- I know!:)

toby
04-23-2003, 01:57 PM
it's been so long since I used 6... I hope this works: Select the surface in the editor then right click on it. Cmd click if you only have one button. It gives you a copy-paste menu.

btw, LW 6.5b is a free upgrade, if you can find it. But you must be using OS9, so if it works, don't change anything! It may become very unstable.

The OSX version of LW6.5b is also free, and way more stable than OS9, but a little slower.

RobinWood
04-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Toby, I'm pretty sure that copies all the attributes, not just the color.

GaryLW, one foolproof way is to just copy down the color numbers, and transfer them to the new material.

If you just want to copy/paste the color, there are ways.

If you are using System 9, make sure that you are using the LW_ColrPikr. (You can choose the color picker on the Interface tab of the Display Options dialog ('d').) Then open the surface you want to copy the color from, and click the color swatch. When the color picker opens, click the "Store" button in the lower left. That will put the color swatch into the bar to the right.

Open the surface you want to copy the color to, make sure the color swatch you want is highlighted on the color bar, and click the Use button. That will change just the color, leaving everything else intact.

If you are using OS X, you can either use that method, or you can do essentially the same thing by using the Default color picker (Apple's) and dragging the color from the swatch onto one of the squares at the bottom. (If you can't see any, pull out the drawer.) Just click on that square to choose the same color again.

I tested this in LW 7.5, but I'm pretty sure it worked exactly the same way in LW 6.

Hope this helps!

GaryLW
04-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Cheers all!

Yes Robin, I managed to select the ColrPikr which is the easiest way of transferring a colour I was looking for! (It's "O" though, not "d").

And yes, the reason why I don't use 6.5b is because it was waaaay buggy on my OS9. I Do have OSX, but the rest of the studio don't - so I'd be a little incompatible when it comes to file sharing, version numbers etc.!!

Thanks again!

RobinWood
04-24-2003, 02:08 PM
LOL! I should have asked if you were assigning color in Layout or Modeler. The shortcut is different in the two programs.

I was checking in Modeler, since I'm in the middle of a very long render in Layout. (And the moral of the story is, "Don't use radiosity with ray traced shadows, refraction, and reflection on a piece that's 1600 x 1940 unless you are prepared to Wait.")

So yes, of course. You can get to the display options with 'd' in Modeler, or 'o' in Layout.

The important thing is, you found it. :)