PDA

View Full Version : interactive textures in 8.2

intofx
04-19-2005, 10:43 AM
I just watched a tutorial regarding parenting textures to objects (nulls) for interactive placement. I used to rely on this in 5.6 but have since lost the ability tto do this with the versions since. The null will move the texture but it won't let me "watch." I move the null, then the texture updates. Is it my graphics card? More RAM? Is this a MAC issue? What gives? BTW, my computer is a dual 2.5 with 2 gigs of ram and the stock video card.

TIA,
Matt

barnabythebear
04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Hiya,

Yes, I had the same experience. I though it was due to me using a more complex texture than the one in the tutorial video. Not seeing it update means more test renders and losing what benifit is was in the first place.

ta

nige.

Dodgy
04-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Well I can defintiely do this on a pc... Any mac users care to comment?

barnabythebear
04-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Hiya,

I'm using a mac with 8.2.1, and can only get realtime updates when I only have the one, linked, texture on an object. I have to switch all other textures on the object off. Otherwise it will only update after an F9.

ta

nige.

pantone
04-20-2005, 11:41 AM
In my experience it doesn't work correctly on Macs.

On a G4 with a Geforce Ti card it doesn't work period. Moving the null shows no texture updates.

On a G5 with an nVidia 64Meg card I can move the texture interactively, but the texture itself displays at the wrong size and with multiple tiles even though I've turned off repeat.

I get the same behavior on a G4 laptop with an ATI 64MB card.

intofx
04-20-2005, 03:09 PM
In my experience it doesn't work correctly on Macs.

On a G4 with a Geforce Ti card it doesn't work period. Moving the null shows no texture updates.

On a G5 with an nVidia 64Meg card I can move the texture interactively, but the texture itself displays at the wrong size and with multiple tiles even though I've turned off repeat.

I get the same behavior on a G4 laptop with an ATI 64MB card.

Sad to say I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was on the verge of buying a graphics card in the hopes it might fix the problem. Happy I didn't spend the money for nothing. I hope/ wonder if Newtek is aware of the problem as it was one of my favorite features in 5.6.

Matt

blabberlicious
04-22-2005, 06:16 AM
Turn on Auto Key

;-)

pantone
04-22-2005, 07:17 AM
In all the tests I've done Autokey was turned on.

On the newer machines it appears to be an OpenGL issue. The texture itself will display correctly, but it's edges are stretched and smeared outward to infinity.

This isn't a problem if you're doing a planar map. However on other mapping types it makes the technique unuseable.

intofx
04-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Turn on Auto Key

;-)

Still no workie. :( Not to mention that I hate auto key - that a sure fire way for me to screw up a scene. Thanks tho...

****Update only moments later*** Auto key will work but only if the other textures are off like mentioned above. Auto Key=No. Textures off=No. Auto key+Textures off=Yes. Too bad you have to jump through firery hoops to get the most basic things to work.

Matt