PDA

View Full Version : Help needed..

ne3ro
04-19-2005, 08:33 AM
hi evryone, i kinda new to the lightwave (and 3D world). i would like to ask you guys 4 help.. Can lightwave be use on a laptop? iF can what is the minimum requirements of the laptop..thanks!

Tiger
04-19-2005, 09:21 AM
System Requirements:

* System Processor Pentium III or higher (Pentium IV recommended)
* Operating System: 2000 (Sp3), XP (Sp1)
* TCP/IP Network Protocol Installed
* System RAM: 512 MB (1GB recommended)
* 230MB available harddrive space (not including content)
* Graphics Card:
o AGP slot interface
o Full Open OpenGL and DirectX support
o Latest drivers from chipset manufacturer
o 1024x768 minimum screen resolution (1280x1024 recommended)
o 64MB onboard dedicated RAM per display (128MB recommended)

Should work with the latest laptops I think.
Just wonder how it would be to model things using a laptop...

Captain Obvious
04-19-2005, 09:50 AM
3D work with a touch pad sounds like an ergonomical bad dream. Get a mouse and you'll be ok, though. Most modern laptops are more than enough for Lightwave. If people could do 3D five years ago, surely you can do 3D on a laptop today.

ChillWill Graphix
04-19-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm LightWave'n with a Dell Inspiron XPS with no problems. I'm new as well and am hooked on this stuff. Recently bought my own copy of LW 8 as an add-on to a Government License and am really diggin' it. I'm running through the paces of going throught the Getting Started Guide, LW 3D 8 Texturing, and Dan Ablan's Inside LW 8 - all are very good books so far.

My Notebook specs are as follows:

P4 3.4Ghz Hyper Threading
512MB Ram - gonna upgrade to 1 or 2GB when I get home from Africa.
Radeon Mobility 9800 w/ 256MB Ram
Logitech MX310 Mouse
Wacom 4x5 tablet.

Hope this helps. As has been already noted - you should have no troubles.

Later - Mike

guardonduty
04-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Here is the one u want

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks/compaq_presario&series_name=X6000_series&catLevel=2&tab_switch=true&tab=specs

Lottmedia
04-19-2005, 03:48 PM
I've got a Gateway 450ROG, little dated now but still fine with LW. Centrino 1.7 with a Gig of ram and I have no problems at all, runs fast. The only problem I have with using LW on a laptop is that you have to have the dongle sticking out all the time you're using it (actually I think you can remove it once LW boots....) but the dongle is too valuable for me to be carrying it on business trips. I do most work on my desktop and mostly use the Laptop as a render node and use it in discovery mode on the road. Discovery mode Layout still lets you do most things if you're models are aleady built and you don't need to render (ie, working out particle effects, hypervoxel settings and such).

J-Rod

Hoopti
04-19-2005, 09:02 PM
I do a large amount of work on my Alienware laptop, plus I can play games on it as well.

Meshes with my network easily, and I can work and send something off to the desktops via the renderfarm using Butterfly Net Renderer.

This way I can work in bed, and when I need to get serious, I finish at the office.

by the way, I use a real mouse with my laptop and a "students desk" type thing that sits on my lap and has an area for my mouse. I don't use the touchpad.

Hoop

ne3ro
04-20-2005, 03:54 AM
I really have a tight budget here. i was thinking of buying a Acer TravelMate 4002WLCi_M11P with these spec:

Intel Centrino Pentium M Processor 725 (1.6 Ghz, 2MB cache, 400Mhz FSB) (I have to use centrino in my place)
Intel Pro/Wireless 2100
Intel 855GME Chipset
Microsoft XP Home Edition
256MB DDR RAM / 60 GB HD (Ill upgrade the RAM later)
15.4 WXGA TFT Colour LCD
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 WITH 64MB VIDEO RAM
56K modem & 10/100 LAN
3xUSB 2.0, 1xIEEE 1394, 1xFIR Port
DVD/CD-RW combo Drive

For about USD$1 181. (roughly)

Can I use this laptop to run LW? Is the spec is enough for me to run LW on it? And is is worth the price?

guardonduty
04-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Dude.

Get the 17" screen HP laptop I told u about for that pice. U will love the 17" screen. Upgrade to integrated wireless and 512 megs of Ram for only $100 more. Plus you can connect to an external monitor and extend your monitor across that screen. Plus the chicks dig it. assuming you r a guy.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks/compaq_presario&series_name=X6000_series&catLevel=2&tab_switch=true&tab=specs

ne3ro
04-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks, guardonduty. i like it very much. But that notebook is not avaible/ hard to find in my place. I need a laptop very2 quick too.I cant buy online coz im only a student, i dont have credit card...That's why i ask you guys if the laptop i told earlier is suitable for me..i'll use it for only 2 years,n then i'll buy a new one.

FYI, im new to Lightwave and the 3D world..i maybe don need a very powerful hardware, for me its enough if i can practice using it..

So, do you guys think should buy the Acer Travelmate as i said earlier..i need it a laptop quick. So can you tell me is the laptop enough for me to do light wave? Your help will be appriciated..

Sorry for the bad english :o