PDA

View Full Version : What 3D magazine would users recommend?

Mr Mouse
04-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Sometime back I decided to stop subscribing to any general graphics magazines such as computer arts . I got sick of the editorial slant of them always trying to sell you the product rather than giving a rounded rigourous review of products and software.

I'd really like to subscribe to a good 3D magazine that is informative and avoids this kind of techno lust.

Which one is the most rounded and of most interest as a LW user ?

lardbros
04-19-2005, 08:08 AM
I used to get Computer Arts, but since 3dworld came out i switched and find it a good read although, still too short.

They don't focus on LW, but they do include tutorials for LW among many other packages. Every few months or so they will have a three or more page tutorial using Specific software, but most of them can be altered to suit any software.

Not sure if CGI magazine even exists anymore, and can't recall any other mags (here in the Uk atleast). There used to be a LW specific mag, but not entirely sure what it was called!

Edit
------------------
oh yeah, and if you subscribe here in the UK you get the mag a week earlier than it appears on the shelves... makes me wonder where the 3dworld team get the time. Surely that gives them 3 weeks or less to get a mag done?! (i guess before they started the mag they would have had a couple of issues ready or something?)

Cman
04-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I 2nd the nomination of 3D World.

I'm not 100% on their new design, but it's still the best mag, imho.

mattclary
04-19-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm of the opinion you can get 90% of the info you get from a magazine from the internet at 0% of the cost. Even Keyfarme has (had?) too little LW content for my tastes.

badllarma
04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
I subscirbe to
3D World
HDRI 3D
Cinefex
Showreel (UK film mag)

Over all 3D World will do the job, HDRI I'm very disapointed with the first issue I recieved was 3 and it's just not worth the cash IMO.
If your into films and imo Cinefx just kicks the arses of all the others for content BUT has very little about 3D per say just about how films were made but still very cool mag.

of course as other have said you then have all the online stuff.

Nigel Baker
04-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi there,

I subscribed to Keyframe. It merged into what is now HDRI 3D.
They never asked subscribers if they wanted to carry over. They decided for me.
The magazine so far after two issues is extremely weak. It is a mish-mash of any package that they can get a tutorial done on within. It is good to see what others are up to but this magazine i feel has lost its way.

So far they have not won me over. I know it is still a very new publication but the people behind it are not new to the game. Also there web site I find is not supportive of the magazine.

I think that Matt has hit it on the head, stay on line, save your money, have a beer instead.

Dodgy
04-19-2005, 11:17 AM
While 3d world is a multi format magazine, it does seem to have quite a LW bent, as many of the tutorials have been in LW, I think moreso than any other format. It does give away quite a few good resources on it's cover disc too, so I've just subscribed... (after using the work's copy for a good long while :))

Mr Mouse
04-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks all for your opinions .
HDRI 3D was the one I had been considering but you have stayed my hand and saved me the subscription fee.

Many thanks

Mr Mouse

BeeVee
04-20-2005, 06:47 AM
I think 3D World rocks. Mind you I would say that having been there before it was born and being the editor for a while... :)

B

pauland
04-20-2005, 03:18 PM
3D World does rock and you should be congratulated for the LW related stuff that appears there. I hope it's paying off for Newtek.

Paul

TheDynamo
04-20-2005, 03:51 PM
3D world is a good mag, if only our bookstore would carry it less sporadically. It's a little slow on the import magazines.

Another magazine I would recommend is CGW.

-Dyn

pauland
04-20-2005, 03:56 PM
You can subscribe to 3D world for a year (13) issues for something like $99 in the US..

TheDynamo
04-20-2005, 05:29 PM
ooh! the idea of a subscription somehow escaped me. I'll have to look into that when I have some free cash. Thanks :)

-Dyn

SplineGod
04-20-2005, 10:15 PM
I also like 3D world despite BeeVee having been an editor ;)

Signal to Noise
04-20-2005, 10:30 PM
3D world is a good mag, if only our bookstore would carry it less sporadically. It's a little slow on the import magazines....

As a subscriber to 3DW I find I receive the latest issue roughly two weeks after it hits UK stands and about three weeks prior to any of my local bookstores. And at $99 US for a one year sub it's a real bargain!

FWIW, I also subscribe to HDRI 3D. Well...I actually subscribed to both Keyframe Magazine and Highend Magazine but now that they've rolled into one my subscription got carried over. Despite the lame name of the mag I'm finding it to be quite informative. Dan is doing a great job whipping it into shape. :)

colkai
04-21-2005, 02:48 AM
I think 3D World rocks. Mind you I would say that having been there before it was born and being the editor for a while... :)

B

See. I knew i recognised your name from some place! :) I was a long time buyer of PCFormat and have had 3DWorld subscribed since Issue #1.

For me - in the UK for sure, 3DWorld is the magazine to buy, where I live it's pot luck finding any others and to subscribe to mags from the USA is very cost prohibitive. Can cost you more for postage than the mags themselves.

Though I did used to get Newtekniques and have bought the odd sale bundle of Keyframe - that's when it starts to become viable. Wait 10 months, buy a pack at a reduced rate and postage becomes less of a factor.

But enough rambling.. 3DWorld it is, and their new format means longer tutorials - which is really cool!

kurv
04-22-2005, 08:35 AM
3D World and Cinefex :D

Edbittner
04-26-2005, 04:00 AM
Yop, Cinefex is the only one I subscribe to anymore. Great in-deapth articles on how it's done....whatever it is for film. Hell, just going to the web sites advertised in each issue is almost worth the price. You'd be surprised how many demos are available out there.
E.

lardbros
04-26-2005, 04:18 AM
I've never seen CineFX anywhere in the UK stores. Is there anywhere i can get it from here in the UK? or is it a website subscription thing?

------------------------
Okay, just found it by Googling. It seems great... bet it's a good read and is 180 pages, which can't be bad. Hmmm, i'll have to think about that one.

BeeVee
04-26-2005, 04:29 AM
You can always find it at Forbidden Planet, or your preferred comics shop - these sorts of shops tend to stock it. The link for the site is the unsurprising: http://www.cinefex.com :)

B

Sande
04-27-2005, 09:58 AM
See. I knew i recognised your name from some place! :) I was a long time buyer of PCFormat and have had 3DWorld subscribed since Issue #1.

I'll always remember BeeVee as the editor of Amiga Format... :)

BeeVee
04-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Hehe :) Or the editor of Amiga Computing... Or a contributing editor to The Web, or any number of other titles... :) I'm just happy to be remembered me.

B