PDA

View Full Version : Best platform for large projects

ajt
04-18-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm involved in this big project where we'll have to handle very large scenes for animation. The current environment is a mix of Windows, Linux and OSX. This project will require we purchase 20 high-end machines to run Lightwave, Maya and Shake. Does anyone here have experience on all 3 platforms and if so can you tell me which one performs best with large amounts of data.

mattclary
04-18-2005, 10:36 AM
LightWave doesn't run on Linux (without an emulator), so that's out. The 64 bit version of LightWave is imminent. It allows huge models to be handled. They demoed this by loading 5 Battlestar Galactica models, while normally one full model would bring LightWave to it's knees. The 64bit version of LightWave is only for Windows currently, due to some issues with OSX not being fully 64bit. So your wisest choice is a 64bit processor running Windows XP-64. Personally, I would go with an AMD chip.

JML
04-18-2005, 11:05 AM
....So your wisest choice is a 64bit processor running Windows XP-64. Personally, I would go with an AMD chip.
I think so too.
and also for openGL performace.
we use pc and macs here at work, and on large projects, there is a big difference in opengl performance.
(not good to work in a large scene that takes minutes to refresh)
(I mean by 'large' project, a 4-5million polygon scene, that might be small for you, I don't know how much a Battlestar Galactica is..)
and if you a got a lot of cash, you can get dual motherboard capable of holding 16gb of ram... (about 2400$ of ram though )

tektonik
04-18-2005, 11:22 AM
lightwave can render in linux tho

mattclary
04-18-2005, 12:41 PM
lightwave can render in linux tho

Granted, but he said "20 high-end machines to run Lightwave, Maya and Shake", not "20 high end machines to use as a render farm". ;)

Captain Obvious
04-19-2005, 05:03 AM
On the other hand, Shake probably runs better on PowerMacs than anything else... a mix, perhaps?

JML
04-19-2005, 07:21 AM
I did not see shake mentionned before.., isn't shake only for macs now?
so a mix would probably better for you I guess,
pc for 3d heavy projects
mac for shake and video editing

caesar
04-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Shake "automagically" uses all Macs in the network to render jobs

mattclary
04-19-2005, 08:59 AM
They demoed this by loading 5 Battlestar Galactica models, while normally one full model would bring LightWave to it's knees

FYI, the source of my information:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=31413&highlight=galactica

And it was 8 not 5. :cool:

pdrake
04-19-2005, 07:04 PM
shake is only for mac right now. the g5 has 64bit chips and lw will be 64 bit soon. i'd suggest modeling on pc and rendering on macs as the opengl is better on the pc.

i work on both and find that doing the texturing and lighting is easier for me on the mac, especially with fprime. i think the mac handles memory better. this makes it easier to have photoshop, illustrator and lightwave open at the same time. (plus, i've been using macs for about 15 years.)

if you use after effects, it uses the macs on the network to render also.

JML
04-19-2005, 10:19 PM
shake is only for mac right now. the g5 has 64bit chips and lw will be 64 bit soon. i'd suggest modeling on pc and rendering on macs as the opengl is better on the pc..
as far as I know in Lightwave, xeon still render faster than mac and amd.
(amd being very very close to xeon)
(look at LW chris benchmark)

i work on both and find that doing the texturing and lighting is easier for me on the mac, especially with fprime. i think the mac handles memory better. this makes it easier to have photoshop, illustrator and lightwave open at the same time.
Fprime comes also on PC.
xp64 should have no problem with memory with huge scene at large resolutions.
(I don't have any problem having layout,modeller,photoshop,etc.. open at the same time though..)

(plus, i've been using macs for about 15 years.).

if you use after effects, it uses the macs on the network to render also.
same thing with the PCs

that's why I was saying pc for 3d
and mac for shake and video editing

pdrake
04-20-2005, 12:09 AM
:p

okie dokie.

i think a mix would be beneficial to the studio also. in fact, i'm going to build a pc for myself. (don't tell my friends)

i know i'm biased. it's hard to change. (i really do have friends who have switched since oxX.) i do know though, there are more plugins/compatability issues that work better with windows than apple. that's why i'm building a pc.

lightwave just looks prettier on a mac.