PDA

View Full Version : That's Great!

Tony3d
04-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Intel just announced there dual core chips. What the hell is wrong with APPLE!!!

mattclary
04-18-2005, 10:41 AM
They're too busy selling the hell out of iPods. ;)

toby
04-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Intel just announced there dual core chips. What the hell is wrong with APPLE!!!

You mean IBM. Apple doesn't make chips.

While we're at it, what the hell is wrong with Sony? PS2 was obsolete 2 years ago!

Johnny
04-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Announcing and Delivering are two different beasties.

J

Darth Mole
04-18-2005, 04:51 PM
On one hand, I'm annoyed and saddened that the new G5s look to be little more than meagre speed-bumps (www.thinksecret.com). On the other, it does mean that my dual 2GHz looks like it will be getting a stay of execution for most of 2005 - I just can't justify buying a new Mac that isn't at least 50% faster...

Johnny
04-18-2005, 05:06 PM
the mac rumor mill has been filled with dual-core and quad G5 talk lately, and those are configs that had been forecast early on in the G5's life..

I'm hopeful...

J

toby
04-18-2005, 08:16 PM
2.7 is a totally meager increase, but faster bus is cool and dual-layer dvd-r is kickass! 9gb dvd's!

js33
04-18-2005, 10:18 PM
2.7Ghz would be ok if they were dual core chips. A new g5/g6 with dual dual core chips and a Blu-ray HD DVD are what's needed soon to fuel all the HD editing that will need to be done soon with the new HD cameras coming out (esp. the new Panasonic AG-HVX200 DVCPRO-HD). :D

Cheers,
JS

Captain Obvious
04-19-2005, 04:59 AM
Need I remind you that Apple haven't announced anything yet? Just because ThinkSecret says it's so, doesn't mean it will.

riki
04-19-2005, 05:53 AM
While we're at it, what the hell is wrong with Sony? PS2 was obsolete 2 years ago!

Nah I hate Sony. All my Sony products have died prematurely. I threw my $3000 Sony Triniton out onto the street last week, after spending $750 on it twice for repairs. My PS2 died and I only every used it a couple of times to play WRC World Rally Champ, the remote for my new Sony VCR is dead, while the remote for all my non-Sony products have survived extended life periods and even my Sony TV kicked the bucket just after the warrently expired. While the former Phillips unit is still powerring on after seven years of heavy usage. I'll be streering well clear of all Sony-craft in future. :)

Ge4-ce
04-19-2005, 06:04 AM
Sony makes great camcorders!

And PS 2 (however outdated) also rocks

And sadly, that's about it.

Monitors suck, mp3 players suck.. DIGITAL Photocamera Really SUCK

Problem is..

The brand is not that bad, but it's also not THAT GOOD as Sony want it to be!

You hear people say, "Hey! it's a sony, so it has to be good!" And sony know this and even their products are more expensive just because there is Sony on the nametag..

They gamble with brands and stuff..

good example: Digital still camera's.

They have made a big impression with their carl Zeiss lenses.. Whoho! Everyone was comparing other camera's with the lens! Compared to Nikon , Olympus or Canon, Sony is real BS on digital still camera..

Sony is also narrowminded monopolistic type of company. (microsoft like) They always want to use their standard. Not a general standard. (example, their MP3 format only for their MP3 player, Memorystick, ...)

end 'rant'..

Captain Obvious
04-19-2005, 07:00 AM
I can't recall ever having a single issue with a Sony product, but maybe that's just me... Our PS2, which we bought when it was brand-spankin'-new, is still in mint condition, despite being used a lot. Sony CD players, no problems there... etc.

Ge4-ce
04-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Oh, Capt. Obvious..

I expressed myself a bit wrong.

I didn't mean that Sony products are malfunctioning all the time, or that they have bad service or something. No, if they make something, it works. No Bad word about that.

And they have great products.

What I meant is this: They "CLAIM" to have very very good CRT monitors, while at an exhibition organised by Sony, (we are Sony Dealer btw) they had 15 21" CRT's on a row, all calibrated displays, but none of those looked the same! One was darker, one was brighter,... But Heck, it's a sony, so people believe it and buy it.

Second example, they claim to have a very good digital still camera, with a carl Zeiss lens and technology of this, and that, and... bla bla.. And when you compare the picture quality with that of brands like Nikon, Canon or Olympus, there is a big difference in saturation and overall quality.

I never meant to say that half of the sold camera's don't work..

It's just because it's a sony, that people buy it.. that's my point. And people often pay more BECAUSE it's a sony and are in the meaning they have bought a quality product.

Chazz
04-19-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm sure that dual-core G5's will be here in no time. I'd rather see Apple and IBM build the machine right rather than see them rush to beat AMD and Intel's announcements.

But why the disappointment over increase to 2.7Ghz? Comparable Opteron and Athlon 64 workstations max out at about 2.6-2.8Ghz now, and those are pretty pricey. It's not like Macs are horribly behind the curve the way they used to be.

Johnny
04-19-2005, 12:20 PM
yeah...true...

Any hint on when those dual-core machines might be here?

J

toby
04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
2.7 is meager compared to the 3.0ghz we were supposedly going to get a while ago - but the Captian is right, it's still only a rumor - we may not even get the dual-layer dvd burner.

Ge4-ce
04-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Mmm Yep, that's the whole issue here..

Steve promised 3 ghz a year after the initial release of 2 Ghz. The fact that they couldn't launch 3 ghz the year after allready gave a big dissapointment with potential custumers. If they don't even succeed in getting 3 Ghz the following year, (NOW!) then you have to come up with a different story, one that people will believe.

Possible options are:

dual 2.7 Ghz but multicore
2.7 Ghz, but Quad processers
dual 2.7 Ghz, but 2 macs for the price of one
dual 2.7 Ghz, but build in dishwasher, foodreplicator, airco, teleport, quantum spiral hyperspace portal, and an icecubemachine :rolleyes:

parm
04-20-2005, 03:17 AM
On the plus side, anyone lucky enough to have bought a dual 2.5ghz machine last year has had really good value for money.

After such a long wait I am looking forward to seeing what the new releases have to offer. Especially as I will probably buy one, maybe I'll be able to get a cheap deal on a 2.5ghz machine.

Parm

Tony3d
04-20-2005, 05:42 AM
I have decided pretty much to leave the Mac community after using Macs for nearly 28 years. For all you great guys and gals waiting for Apple's next round of Power Macs, wait till Friday. I have a good feeling. :cool:

Ge4-ce
04-20-2005, 05:58 AM
NOOOOOOO ANIKAN!! DON'T GO TO THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE!!!!!!!

Steve's your father!

Don't go into the PC deathstar!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooo

Captain, we lost another one.... krrrchrrrccccccchhhrrkk over and out....

:(

eblu
04-20-2005, 07:19 AM
3 ghz... that was promised BEFORE we went to dual processors. In fact dual Processors were added in a direct attempt to mitigate the lack of 3 Ghz processors.

steve stepped out of line there, hes admitted as much and done what he can to make up for it. I imagine he also raped and pillaged IBM behind the scenes for putting egg on his face. you see, he over promised what IBM could do. Apple apparently would LOVE to ship 3 Ghz processors. But they are stuck shipping dual processor systems, at 2.5 Ghz a piece... in stupid consumer math... thats a machine with 5 ghz. in scientific and real world performance you'd probably find that the second processor doesn't add That much power, so its probably more like... 4.15 Ghz... give or take depending upon how the app uses the second processor.

having dual (and possibly quad in the near future) processors is a direct result of over promising 3Ghz,
I'd rather have extra processors.

Johnny
04-20-2005, 07:26 AM
don't hold my feet to the fire on this one...maybe the video from that macworld is still around somewhere, but didn't steve not promise 3ghz in a year, but say something like "we hope to have 3ghz in a year"?

I think he shouldn't have said a thing if 3ghz chips weren't pert-near ready to go out the door, but then remember all the kvetching from the Mac community about the laggard G4 performance?

J

Ge4-ce
04-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Nope, I'm sure it was something like "We'll reach 3 ghz by this time next year" or "next year, we will have reached 3 Ghz" we have great roadmap ahead of us,..

no, he was quite precise and sure about it.

I remember because with the dual 2.5 annoucement, the same discussion took place. And someone then posted the movie online again, and he was very clear about it

Johnny
04-20-2005, 07:36 AM
OK, well, that would be a committment on his part.
guess the reality distortion field works on steve, too!

:rolleyes:

Captain Obvious
04-20-2005, 08:30 AM
It's just because it's a sony, that people buy it.. that's my point. And people often pay more BECAUSE it's a sony and are in the meaning they have bought a quality product.
Ah, well, I can't really argue with that. They're really milking their good name.

But why the disappointment over increase to 2.7Ghz? Comparable Opteron and Athlon 64 workstations max out at about 2.6-2.8Ghz now, and those are pretty pricey. It's not like Macs are horribly behind the curve the way they used to be.
My point exactly. And let's remember that APPLE HAVE NOT YET ANNOUNCED ANY UPGRADES! For all we know, they might release a quad PowerMac G5 at 3.5GHz next tuesday, or they might not upgrade them again this year. Yeah, it sucks that we don't know, but there is nothing we can do about it, and speculating about how compeditive a Mac that does not yet exist might be does not seem all that productive.

Any hint on when those dual-core machines might be here?
Only that they will be here sooner or later, unfortunately.

3 ghz... that was promised BEFORE we went to dual processors. In fact dual Processors were added in a direct attempt to mitigate the lack of 3 Ghz processors.
Eh? The top-of-the-line PowerMac has been dual-processor for a long while. 2000, perhaps?

But they are stuck shipping dual processor systems, at 2.5 Ghz a piece... in stupid consumer math... thats a machine with 5 ghz. in scientific and real world performance you'd probably find that the second processor doesn't add That much power, so its probably more like... 4.15 Ghz... give or take depending upon how the app uses the second processor.
For Lightwave rendering, it probably is about 4.8GHz... so yeah. What's your point? I'd much rather have a dual 2GHz than a single 3GHz, and so would most Mac users. For a good reason, I might add. Apple knows this. Their top-of-the-line PowerMac will not be a single-processor machine ever again. The fact that it's dual is not some kind of compensation for their lacking clock frequencies, but rather because 2 is greater than 1.

Chazz
04-20-2005, 08:48 AM

Wrong...the Dual 2Ghz was one of the first announced machines. The promise of 3Ghz was made alongside the initial G5 annoucement. You might be thinking of the announcement of the Dual 450-500 G4's years ago when the G4 speeds were stagnating and the Intel was breaking the 1Ghz barrier.

fxgeek
04-27-2005, 08:03 AM
Ok, couple of points

1. Intel CPU's have only advanced about as much in ghz as IBM chips over the same period. Apple have gone from 2 to 2.7 , while intel has gone from 3.2 to 3.6

2. Intel have only announced their Dual Core chips. The chips wont ship for a while and it will be some time after than when systems become available.

3. Dual Core AMD systems from Boxx are REALLY expensive

4. Apple wont pre-announce that they are moving to dual core. They will only announce that when they have systems ready to sell.

5. even if Intel based dual core systems are available a month or two (or even 6) before Apple releases dual core g5's (g6 ???) it's not the end of the world.