PDA

View Full Version : NewTek to Release Free Feature Update to LightWave 3D®

Kurtis
04-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Las Vegas, NV, NAB, Booth SL1949 – April 18, 2005 -- NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading 3D animation and video products, today announced the forthcoming release of the free 8.3 update to Emmy® award-winning LightWave 3D®. In addition to full support of the new generation multi-core processor systems, this release offers enhanced vector blur routines and improved integration with other production tools via updated PSD support, as well as a new gradient option for HyperVoxels™ (LightWave®’s volumetric rendering system), improved text tools for Modeler, and new features and functions in the Scene Editor and Dope Track. The release will be available to registered owners of LightWave [8] as a free download within a few days.

Karmacop
04-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Will proton be putting up some videos of 8.3 before the download is avaliable?

3DBob
04-18-2005, 09:58 AM
So does this finally mean the volumetric class will be avilable to the likes of sasquatch, Fprime etc?

3DBob

Karmacop
04-18-2005, 10:42 AM
I think it just means volumetris plugins now work more correctly natively. I'm guessing 8.5 is going to be the update with more sdk improvements and big features. I hope anyway.

hrgiger
04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't know. This sure sounds like Fprime might finally be able to see volumetrics:

"HyperVoxels have been enhanced to work with LightWave's fog effects, and HyperVoxels' refraction rendering has been updated to work in combination with dissolve and fog. This change, among others, is also included in the LightWave SDK, which will benefit third party developers by giving access to volumetrics and fog for their plug-ins."

Of course, Fprime would then also have to be updated but perhaps now that's possible?

3DBob
04-18-2005, 12:06 PM
That was my point - thanks hrgiger for saving me the cut and paste

3DBob

hrgiger
04-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Sure thing. I just hope it's what it sounds ilke. What bliss.

monovich
04-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Even if hypervoxels is renderable in fprime, it may not be that much faster. I'm sure most of you know that certain skytracer volumetrics WOULD render in fprime, even though it wasn't supported. No, I'm not talking about non-volumetric skytracer, I'm talking about real volumetric clouds would be rendered in fprime if you click certain buttons in certain order and got lucky. (try it)

What we noticed when it did happen to work is that the volumetric clouds rendered pretty slowly, they refined progressively just like fprime normally does, but they were VERY slow to refine.

Who knows, maybe volumetric clouds and hypervoxels are different in the way they render, maybe surfaces or sprites would render much faster than volumes, and maybe worley could optimize fprime for HV's...

those are just a few thoughts...

either way, I'm excited about 8.3, and I'm pretty happy with they way Newtek is pumping out the updates. They seem to be more focused and motivated these days.

ColinCohen
04-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Sounds terrific.

This will create great new possibilities for plugin developers.

A pretty good day for LW. This news and the release of DStorm's new (and free) character rigging and animation tools.

hrgiger
04-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I don't think that matters much. The situation I see is there are a lot of cases where FPrime renders much faster then Lightwave but sometimes you can't use it because the scene has volumetrics.

Bass
04-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty happy with all the development activity as well, it's good to see. However, I hope they make these upgrades available for us VT[4] users - we're getting left in the dust here.

Even if it's just the Lightwave upgrades - I'm happier than a pig in swill with the VT, but I'm drooling over some of the 8.x changes.

Dave

gaetan
04-18-2005, 01:06 PM
New "Relative Particle Age" gradient option for HyperVoxels for 8.3

Thank you so mush Newtek! ;)

Gaetan

MrWyatt
04-19-2005, 02:06 AM
again they skipped my animated gradients feature request.
anyways, YAY!!!

Gui Lo
04-19-2005, 02:45 AM
Great news.

Love these small updates. I have time to look at these new features rather than being faced with 100+ to wade through.

The announcements were done really well too.

Kuzey
04-19-2005, 04:24 AM
Very cool...I sure like the idea of an update every few months!!

As they say...keep them coming :p :D :D

Kuzey

Captain Obvious
04-19-2005, 04:45 AM
Great news! Keep up the upgrades, NewTek! :)

Intuition
04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Awesome.

Its been a longtime wish of mine for Voxels to be upgraded.

Thanks Newtek. As always, keep up the hard work!

Looks like the new guys are starting to develop at top speed. :D

Jockomo
04-26-2005, 01:50 PM
For the chronologically challenged among us.

a few days < a week

a few weeks < a month

;) Just kidding guys, actually I'd like you to take as long as you need to get the bugs worked out.

Yog
04-26-2005, 04:19 PM
For the chronologically challenged among us.

a few days < a week

a few weeks < a month.
As long as they don't say "Coming soon", we're in good shape :D