PDA

View Full Version : OT next animated films

badllarma
04-17-2005, 03:38 AM
So we trekked half way across the city I live near (Manchester, UK) To see an animated film :)

The reason being two fold firstly I'm 33 and the times in every movie theatre was showing the film made it impossible to see (during the day, no evening showings at all in all three of the big multiplexes within 20 min of where I live) and I was not that impressed with the trailer but I finally gave in to my own demands at supporting a British animated effort and the gf wanting to see it :)

So why am I rambling here well Firstly "Valiant" is excellent if you have not seen it do yourself a favor and go and catch it befere it goes to DVD great visuals (fatastic lighting) and still has some of our "English toilet hummour". Very good effort by Ealing Studios (just sack your marketing people) make better trailers and show the film in the bloody evening :rolleyes:

Secondly and the main reason for the post is the trailers of what is out next, firstly we watched one about a zoo a Lion that uses a sun bed, a daft Giraffe and a Zebra, note to film makers here always make the name of a movie easy to remmber :rolleyes: Anyway looked very funny some great characters and the youngsters in the crowd love it. Next the trailer for Ice Age 2 Scrat the squirrel with another marketing master piece everyone in the crowd laughing and only when the "coming in 2006" was there growns in the audience.

Finally there was "Cars".................................................. ..... silence, no "mum / dad can we see that" from the children sat in front and behind us just quiet a few nervous shuffles and that was it, are the wheels about to fall off the Pixar bus? Well if I was a Pixar executive I'd be a VERY worried man.
I so far have loved all of there work but I just don't see the appeal at all in the content of this film, I mean cars who cares? For Pixar I hope I'm wrong at 33 I'm well out of the target audience for this fim I guess but going off the UK audience on a April Saturday night I'd be very worried if I was watching there bottom line.

Marco Solorio
04-17-2005, 04:19 AM
Finally there was "Cars".................................................. ..... silence, no "mum / dad can we see that" from the children sat in front and behind us just quiet a few nervous shuffles and that was it, are the wheels about to fall off the Pixar bus?

I absolutely *LOVE* Pixar movies, but this "Cars" movie has to just be one of the dumbest concepts I've ever seen. I can't believe this is a Pixar film! For one, I can't stand Nascar (okay, so I guess that gives me a bias against the movie) and two, the "characters", i.e., the cars, look lame. The eyes on the windshield look weird. This just doesn't look like your top-notch Pixar movie. What's going on here?

I'm a huge motorsport fan (DTM, BTCC, ALMS). I pray I never see those cars talking in a movie!!!

cresshead
04-17-2005, 05:53 AM
the cars trailer does look rather average...as for iceage 2..i hope they put a better story in there than iceage 1...iceage was a V poor story imo

with trailers you have to remember that they usually differ greatly from the final film...incredibles trailer [first one] was good but didn't convey what a super film it was when i finally was finished..

recent films i've bought...

boo zino and the snorks...excellent rendering and a average story...worth the money though.
with a better storyline it could have been a good contender against pixar as it looked bteter than most pixar films...not sure what software did it but the lighting was amazing.

pinocchio 3000 too much raytracing, poor character designs on the whole, very nice backgrounds though and a stinking storyline and bad guys...just about worth the 5.99 the dvd cost.....could have been so much better...i feel for the guys' who made it..missed opportunity.
was a xsi gig i hear...

bionicle 2...not watched it yet..got it on dvd...it's maya i hear..the last one was okay...nice renders and okay story for the kids.

popeye dvd...xsi i thinks only seen some of it..looked okay..budget rendering but the animation was good and had the same feel as the 2d cartoon.

prospector
04-17-2005, 07:31 AM
I just hope Hitchhikers follows the book.
I hate when directors and producers think they can do better than the original.

In the old days I could see some things (humans just couldn't do some of the authors writings) but now and especially with LW, there is nothing that the authors could write that can't be done.

STICK TO THE ORIGINAL!!!

Matt
04-17-2005, 07:39 AM
My favourite animated film has to be The Incredibles, followed closely by Shrek and Toy Story, didn't care too much for Finding Nemo, the trailer made it look really funny, and in places it was, but nowhere near the others. Shark Tale look liked a load of tosh, but I agree, Cars looks absolutely terrible!!! Will give that one a miss I think, unless the later trailers do something remarkable!

The one film I can't wait for though is The War of the Worlds, looks ace and I loved the original film.

Tom Wood
04-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Cars is the last of the 5-picture deal between Pixar and Disney. After that, Pixar is free to change distribution, which they have already said they will do. Maybe it's a throw away to end the relationship as quickly as possible? For anyone counting, Disney did a cram-down with Toy Story 2 and said that sequels don't count toward the 5 pictures Pixar owed them. Which helped sour the relationship.

TW

Marco Solorio
04-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Cars is the last of the 5-picture deal between Pixar and Disney. After that, Pixar is free to change distribution, which they have already said they will do. Maybe it's a throw away to end the relationship as quickly as possible? For anyone counting, Disney did a cram-down with Toy Story 2 and said that sequels don't count toward the 5 pictures Pixar owed them. Which helped sour the relationship.

Interesting information! And even more interesting that Diney didn't count Toy Story 2 as part of the deal! But hey, I'm not totally surprised as Disney is the wrath of evil anyway! Walt would roll over in his urn!

FWIW: It's a myth that Walt is cryogenically frozen in time. He was cremated! ;)