PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Layout?

rob p
04-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Everytime I load a new object into Layout everything gets smaller. This keeps happening with every new object loaded. Before you know it all the objects are so tiny and the camera and lights are huge. How can I fix this? :confused:

byte_fx
04-16-2005, 08:59 PM
That's because Layout automatically repositions the camera to include newly loaded objects in it's view.

Workaround - load your main object of interest and set up the camera view to your liking. Save it's motion, load the rest of the scene's objects then load the saved camera motion file and you're back to where it wa originally. Remember you don't need a path to save a motion file - a single key frame is all that's needed.

byte_fx

Fausto
04-16-2005, 11:57 PM
It's one of LW's silly quirks, just like Modelors inability to create a perfectly smooth sphere.

Another way to solve this problem is; hit the *[* or *]* keys until you get back to your original grid size. If your scene starts out with a 1m grid and you add objects that either increase or decrease your grid size the view of all scene elements will change. It's not the objects that are changing it's your view of your objects that layout is adjusting for. I know it's silly, why can't this just be fixed at the desired grid size and let me determine if and when I want to adjust it, it's almost like Layout thinks we're too stupid to realize that objects that are loaded may not be in view so it adjusts to show them. By hitting these keys to either reduce or decrease your grid to the size you started out with will return you to your original view. Watch the Grid dialog below the Position dialog, bottom left of the LW interface.

evenflcw
04-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Yep, I hate this aswell. So annoying. I like the size of my cameras, lights and nulls to stay fixed. I suppose the automatic adjusting is good for those working out-of-scale. But I believe most people have adopted the workflow of always working in-scale so this feature is just in the way. An option would be nice.

I'm curios, Fausto, what do you mean by Modeler not being able to create perfectly smooth spheres? How does a perfect sphere in polygons look?

juice
04-17-2005, 07:15 AM
... keyframe the camera, and you fix the camera position.

I work with two cameras, my second is keyframed...

juice
04-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Yep, I hate this aswell. So annoying. I like the size of my cameras, lights and nulls to stay fixed....

I think its not so bad, I like to set first an keyframe to decide "Yes thats it"

Fausto
04-17-2005, 09:32 AM
How does a perfect sphere in polygons look?

Without the pinched poles, it amazes me that that NW haven't figured out how to do this yet.

ncritten
04-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Without the pinched poles, it amazes me that that NW haven't figured out how to do this yet.

You could always use the Tesselation option, I think you will find Max, Maya and XSI all create polygon spheres with the single point poles, or these geospheres

Wonderpup
04-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi Fausto,

There is a fix poles tool in lightwave 8 that sorts out this problem- I remember seeing a demo video of it.

evenflcw
04-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Gah! Don't mention Fix Poles, it's so silly. All it does is add another band and make the problem smaller and thereby less apparent. It doesn't really fix anything! I think it's a toy, not a tool! Imho NT really shouldn't integrate everything they get their hands on. This should've stayed 3rd party. Just my opinion.

"keyframe the camera, and you fix the camera position"
Oh is that how it's meant to be used... tnx!