PDA

View Full Version : Setting pivot points in modeller...

etyrihje
04-16-2005, 03:20 PM
I have a question/problem, I am modelling a clock in modeller and I obvoiusly need to place my pivot points at the right places to make the clock tick right...

I have no problems setting the pivot points for each layer, but what puzzles me is this:After I have set the points I want to move my clock around inside the rest of the model, but the pivot points doesn´t follow the model!!

Do I have to reset the pivot points each time I move my model, or is there a way to LOCK the pivot points to the layer in the model (so that the pivot point will move WITH the clock)?

Help is appreciated!

UnCommonGrafx
04-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Simple answer is no; pivot point set is pivot point set. You sound like you've used Imagine. :D

Besides, why would you not have your pivot in the center of the moving parts, have a mockup drawing in the bkg to know where things will be so you aren't moving them all about, and what bits need to have their pivots moved about so much? ;) Chuckle, reciting what I've read and attempted to practice when I've cared enough.. . :p

For the latter situation, I found it an EXCELLENT exercise to disregard the pivot in modeler and use nulls to cover the centering needed in layout. As nulls seemed to have been a big part of some of the tutes I'd read, it gave me a chance to check out how purposeful they were. I think this is the answer to your being able to focus on the modelling.

Anyhow, go to dstorms site and find their lil'plug for centering the pivot on a point. An absolutely essential tool when you ARE in need of moving the pivot to a precise place. Check on http://flay.com for it.
Goo'luck!

Castius
04-16-2005, 04:32 PM
also assign pivot is included in lw8.

I really try to avoid moving pivot. LW just doesn't handle this well.

You can do this:
Put a skelegon where you want your pivots. (These can be moved with the mesh.)
Then in layout i'd use skelegon to null tool.
Finally parent the parts to the nulls.
animate the nulls

But this is what i would probable do.
Simple use the skelegon to bones and animate withthe bones. If i move the mesh later i can update the pivot by deleting the bones and reconverting skelegons. or use one of the scripts avalable for updating bone from skelegons in layout. This would be good if you want to retain any animaiton you may have applied to the bones already.

PS.
Since you would only be using one bone per layer you would not have to deal with any weighting.

etyrihje
04-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the help, I think using bones might be the easiest.