PDA

View Full Version : OT: Doctor Who was rubbish tonight!

Dodgy
04-16-2005, 01:13 PM
After getting all excited after the last 3 episodes, with it getting better and better, tonight absolutely ruined it for me. The script was juvenile and stupid beyond belief. It's like X-files and Buffy never happened :P

Russell T Davies is ruining Dr Who, I thought the episodes were getting better, but no, this one should have been burnt. No wonder the Americans didn't like it, if they saw this example. I'm all for family viewing, just as long as it's NOT STUPID! I'm going to be so embarrassed to admit I liked this series if it continues like this. And having a cliffhanger and then clips of next weeks ep showing that it's all okay? Who's stupid idea was that?

barnabythebear
04-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Rubbish!?!

It was totaly exellent! It was funny, scary, exiting and cool. I have to say that all of my mates are totally loving this show, including tonights adventure. RTD has done a splendid job of bringing this show up-to-date. I just loved Rose's line "That's so gay!" You have to remember that this show is about scareing and entertaining a fairly clued-up audience of 8 years olds.

I'm old enough to remember Pertwee with great fondness, and I have to say that this series is as good as anything that I can remember since.

Looking forward to next week!!!!!!

ta

nige.

riki
04-16-2005, 08:52 PM
It's always been rubbish hasn't it ?? ;)

cgbloke2004
04-16-2005, 08:57 PM
i think its awful.
i've felt it was awful since the first episode.
Its been made into a pantomime, and something thats not far from being shown on kids tv, probably around the same time as Byker Grove or something similar.

I have a soft spot for the old doctor who's, and i recall them being full of interesting writing, characters and stories.
This is just utterly painful to watch. Davies talks about being 6 years old and seeing his doctor who's, and he wants todays 6 year olds to love it too.
Wrong audience age-group imo..
And is the special effects supposed to appeal to 6 year olds too? Because frankly theyre rubbish..

doctor who was supposed to be state of the art for their time and budget. this just looks like they forgot the 'state of the art' bit and just made it look cheap, shoddy and easily dated. I thought the Mill was better than this..

on the whole i've been very disappointed. theres only been one half-decent episode so far and that was last weeks.

Silkrooster
04-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Are they still making Dr. Who or are these repeats of the old show. I haven't seen Dr. Who is over 20 years.
Silk

pauland
04-17-2005, 04:31 AM
It's new who - with a bang. I'm old enough to have watched (and did watch) the first transmission in 63. I now have two teenage kids who love the new show and it's definitely something we all look forward to seeing. it's hilarious seeing comments about the CG being bad, especially when you consider the old stories and the special effects , sets and costumes there.

Who in the 60's will always have a soft spot for me - I still love the 60's design from the stories of that era - particularly around the Daleks.

I absolutely love what's been done with the new show and so does the family.

It's difficult to reconcile what I'm watching with some of the comments above.

I hope all you canadians are enjoying it too. If you want a flavour of what they've done go visit the bbc dr who website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/) .

Paul

Matt
04-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Haven't seen the remake yet, but I have fond memories of hiding behind the sofa when the Daleks were on, and Davros was scary as hell!

I remember one episode though that, looking back was hilarious! They'd found some "alien technology" and were trying to figure out what it was, turns out the prop was a cassette case!!!! Yes, a cassette case!!!! They hadn't even done anything to it; they could have sprayed it silver at the very least, but no, nothing! I mean, I know it was low budget but surely the BBC effects department could do better than that!!!

:D

Jaffro
04-17-2005, 07:58 AM
I still cant make my mind up if i like it or not! I quite enjoyed the episode on sat but cant seem to connect to it and 'believe' in the storylines. I like the traditional style of the show, but I think they need to develop the characters a bit more. They've dropped in a few hints of background and personality but on an episode basis its really dry imo! Hoping that it will come together still. :)

Dodgy
04-17-2005, 08:51 AM
I thought the first 3 were getting really good, they definitely portrayed the excitement of going on a journey with the doctor very well, the core emotional hits were there. It was the juvenile humour which annoyed me. Okay, so it has to have kids stuff in it, and I did like some of the humour, like the doctor watching the alien invasion on tv, that was fantastic. It's the really stupid stuff which get's me embarrassed watching it. When I watched it as a kid I didn't need fart gags to make me laugh, and did any of the previous series have that low a level of joke in it?

It's like StarWars and The Phantom Menace. I loved star wars when I was a kid, but there's no slapstick in it. There we have Jar Jar.

When you're a kid, there's nothing cooler than travelling through time and space, seeing new worlds. You don't have to be puerile to pull them in.

As for the effects, I think they're okay. The first episode they were dodgy in places, but no worse than series like Buffy, the second ep was really good, spot on for most of it, and the third worked well with the limited number of effects they had. Yesterday not so good again. The crash was well done, even if the spaceship did look a bit not right. But the aliens and the coming out of body suits was decidedly iffy. They should have had the zips at the back of the head, not the forehead. That's where my disbelief failed to suspend. They need to sort out that if something fools a human, it should actually be able to fool us too, or at least get close enough.

My main other problem is the length, I think all the episodes should be 2 parters. With earth bound shows you can have an hour and fit the plot in quite easily, since you're not having to learn everything (characters/locations etc) as new, but with DrWho each episode is new. Buffy works because you have an ongoing cast and location. X-files worked because it was set on earth, and you didn't have to adjust. The auton invasion felt rushed because the alien invasion didn't have to time to build ominously before the resolution. With the murder mystery, you didn't have time to get to know any of the characters, except the tree. Because you did get to know her you could associate with her, which is more of what is needed. I mean, most BBC dramas are 2 hours now, so why the need to rush it all in? It's telling that the Dickens one which worked the best had a very limited scope, and was set on earth. With it being so short, it makes it feel like small television.

I think a lot of these problems can be worked out though so it's good that the BBC is giving it time to find it's feet. I just hope the audience does too.

Just my 2 penneth.

cgbloke2004
04-17-2005, 09:07 AM
i dont buy the 'its doctor who, of course its supposed to be crap/creaky/silly' argument.

i dont recall doctor who being crap/creaky - i recall it being interesting, scary or likeable characters, script/writing that was so well done it took it away from the crappy sets and vfx, you didnt care about that aspect as the writing and the characters and decent actors were more than enough to hold your attention.

they didnt make the sets or the vfx at the time to be crap - it was the best they could do at the time and no-one set-out to make crappy looking visuals that everyone will think is lovable and endearing 20-30 years in the future..

the fart jokes were embarrassing, the other secondary characters are annoying / cardboard cutouts / eastenders refugee's..

that one-off paul mcgann doctor who telemovie seems to be more faithful to the spirit of doctor who than the current series imo..

Jaffro
04-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Yes the farting thing was a bit much and seemed somewhat pointless. However i wouldn't say that 7pm sat is outside of children's tv viewing so i can understand why they might use it, kids after all have a lot of power when it comes to tv :S

cgbloke2004
04-17-2005, 03:06 PM
hmm good point about the time slot..

pauland
04-17-2005, 03:41 PM
We recorded Saturdays show and watched it tonight. I'll admit it was IMHO the weakest of those shown so far, very silly in parts, with some poor CGI (the heads didn't bother me) but we'll go with it. I can't say we weren't entertained.

Paul

art
04-18-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm old enough to remember Pertwee with great fondness, and I have to say that this series is as good as anything that I can remember since.

I'm sorry for being off topic in off topic thread. Barnabythebear, I just noticed your avatar and it brought memories from the past. I knew Barnaby as Colargol. Isnt it coincidental that someone gave me 14 episodes of Barnaby the bear (for sentimental reasons+for my kids) not longer than 2 weeks ago but I haven't seen it or thought about it for 15+ years? And now your avatar, weird..

NanoGator
04-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Heh. I got a kick out of it. I nearly lost it when the Doc came out of the closet and suddenly bumped into a buncha guys in uniform with M-16s. Hee hee.

barnabythebear
04-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Hey Art,

Yea, Colargol was the origional French name I think. He's had several including a Hebrew one hehe. I can only find one show avaliable here in the UK on a compilation of Kids TV.

ta

nige.

tcbm
04-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Got to say after watching the pilot , i just felt fist clenchingly embarrased (the same type of embarresment you got when you where in your early teens and a sex scene came on whilst watching TV with your parents.)

As mentioned before, it looked like it was filmed for a CBBC slot using techniques used by someone who just graduated from film school (just how many "running down a corridor" shots can you have in 30 Minutes)

I never feel embarresed watching old skool Dr.Who (admitidly you accept the time it was filmed, FX advancements etc), the problem is, since Silvester McCoy they`ve tried to pander to getting new younger viewers by mixing in "hip and trendy", which unfortunatly if your over the age of 24 and trying to do this , the kids will see straight through and interpret it as patronising, and then you also alienate your older viewer as they feel uncomfortable watching it if not watching it with there kids.

Theres only one way to play the intergenerational sci-fi tv series game, and thats play it straight.

Well it could be due to the above, but it could also be due to the fact the new episoded are just absolute crap.

God , im getting old

pauland
04-19-2005, 05:21 AM
Tcbm,

I'm afraid our family - two middle-aged parents and two teenagers think it's great, so we beg to differ. Last Saturdays offering was particularly ropey in parts, but then again so have many 'straight' US sci-fi shows been.

We beg to differ on your assessment. Each to his/her own, as they say.

Paul

tcbm
04-19-2005, 05:49 AM
They only watched it to keep the crumblies happy :p

pauland
04-19-2005, 05:59 AM
LOL - crumbly indeed!

Mr Mouse
04-19-2005, 07:04 AM
I must admit to have really enjoyed what I've watched so far.
Yes it's a lot less reverential than it once was and the Doctor maybe looks like he would push drugs to your children but it has recaptured a charm and energy to a tired format .

In places often League of Gentleman, which I like all the more for it.
I think there's that nod and a wink to a generation that grew up with it's low budget effects and still can a kick out of that innocence.

A welcomed return to an oldy but goody with all the charm of the British seaside in slow decay.

Fun stuff.

lardbros
04-19-2005, 08:23 AM
I've enjoyed most of them so far. The first episode was a tough one to pull off, with opening the entire Dr.Who series to a brand new audience, but they pulled it off i reckon. Only the bin burping made me cringe, and i reckon just the one cringe in an hour long show isn't too bad.

The end of the world show was okay too, but i found the sets to be slightly small/lacklustre, more like the BBC kids dramas i used to watch as a kid.

Then the Dickens one was good too. Shame i missed the latest one, but the clips of next weeks show has so far made me want to see the next episode, which is a good thing, and what they were hoping to do i guess.

If you reckon an hour isn't long enough, you should have watched Hustle last week (it was a scam within a scam, with a nasty dweeb cheating old ladies out of money) it was the most polished piece of writing i've seen from the BBC, bloody superb and would have worked as a film too.

MediaSig
04-24-2005, 11:19 PM
So what did any of you think of the most recent episode?

:-P
Greg

pauland
04-25-2005, 12:59 AM
..err, due to a recording disaster, I missed it. :-(
I'm kinda hoping that a UK LWer might take pity on me - any takers?

Paul

Jaffro
04-25-2005, 04:11 AM
Better than the week before imo. Darlicks next week :D

starbase1
04-25-2005, 04:48 AM
Well I have enjoyed it a lot. They have definitely taken it up a few notches.

Earlier the woman stretched over a frame was a wonderfullky wierd idea, the little blue guy was also a cool alien type. Sure makes a welcome change from Trek style 'stick a cornish pasty on the forhead and give them wiggly eyebrows' aliens by numbers...

The ship booming overhead and smashing into Big Ben was seriously great too.

I can forgive them a few fart gags.

Incientally, and at the risk of being off topic, I suspect quite a few UK based lightwavers in this thread, so you may be interested in the London based LW users meeting at a central pub coming up soon. See the user group thread, (start at the back is my advice, its a long thread!), or drop me a private message for more details...

Nick

lardbros
04-25-2005, 05:19 AM
****, i missed this weeks one too. Kinda annoyed, it was getting good with that Charles Dickens one.

I totally agree with you starbase1, i got fed up with aliens looking like humans with a lumpy nose ages ago. Even babylon 5 had humans with odd haircuts trying to be aliens. Dr. Who has gone that bit further and it's good stuff. I especially like the stretched skin of the last human alive... total genious.

I still think fart gags are funny, so not a bad thing to me. I don't know why toilet humour is still amusing to me... probably got some growing up to do! :D