PDA

View Full Version : OSX 10.3.9 - any experiences yet?

3dworks
04-16-2005, 09:19 AM
i just donwnloaded the new update - but before installing it i wanted to check out: did anyone try it with LW 8.2? any performance increase with opengl? any problems?

cheers

markus

Nigel Baker
04-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Hey 3dworks,

Installed it straight away, have not noticed anything different.

Johnny
04-19-2005, 05:31 AM
huh..weren't people holding back on 10.3.8 for the time being, let alone 10.3.9?

J

Captain Obvious
04-19-2005, 07:07 AM
As far as I've seen, 10.3.9 doesn't seem to have all that many issues. I haven't seen the usual barrage of "10.3.n broke my computer" posts in Mac forums yet, so go ahead and upgrade.

It probably won't increase LW's OpenGL performance one bit, though, since it's limited by NewTek's code, not Apple's drivers.

Oh, and if you do decide to upgrade, could one of you do some test renders in 10.3.n and then repeat them in 10.3.9? Quite a few people are reporting lower scores in xBench's CPU tests, but since xBench is poo, it'd be interesting to see what a real application says.

Nigel Baker
04-19-2005, 07:41 AM
Hello Captain Obvious,

Running the LW Bench Mark - Radiosity Box, right now.
Using FPrime 1.5 and 2 bounces with Anti Alias changed from Classic to PLD- 4 Pass.
Everything else is set as is loaded in original file.
OS X.3.9 G5 2.5 GHz 4 Gig ram ATi Card 256 MB.
Working in motion at the same time and of course iTunes playing away.

Test finished 10 minutes exactly 240 Passes in FPrime visual render.
See attached

Johnny
04-19-2005, 07:48 AM
So was that time faster, slower or same as in a previous version of Panther?

J

Nigel Baker
04-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Hello there Johnny,

Well you see I can't tell, but I posted this so someone with OS X.3.8 can now make a comparison. Later when I am not working I will run another test without anything else running and see if there is a speed increase within my own machine.

Keep posting

3dworks
04-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Hello there Johnny,

Well you see I can't tell, but I posted this so someone with OS X.3.8 can now make a comparison. Later when I am not working I will run another test without anything else running and see if there is a speed increase within my own machine.

Keep posting

huh, 2x1.8ghz G5 (and no itunes playing :-) ) here, so anyway a comparision makes no sense... well, i'll wait for a while, because safari seems to have really some problems for many users that updated to x.3.9.

Nigel Baker
04-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Hello 3dworks,

The only trouble I had with OS X.3.9 was with Limewire (audio downloader ).
But after running a security update package file I got access back again and everything is pretty smooth.

RonGC
04-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Yeah, the only problem i've noticed with 3.9 is that some sites that used to open with Safari now crash it every time, so they broke something in Safari wiith the upgrade.

Sucks as i use Safari now as my main browser.

Ron

Johnny
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Yeah, the only problem i've noticed with 3.9 is that some sites that used to open with Safari now crash it every time, so they broke something in Safari wiith the upgrade.

Sucks as i use Safari now as my main browser.

Ron

From the few posts here, it sounds like there's no gain and perhaps a little loss in 10.3.9 with respect to safari performance...

think I'll stay put 'til after I hear how LW fares in Tiger.

J

parm
04-20-2005, 03:33 AM
I had a problem after installing 10.3.9.

Whenever I opened my hard disk window, the spinning beachball would just sit there forever and no folders would appear.

Had to scour the forums for advice, and there does seem to be many, many problems. Mine was solved simply by running a disk utility,(Onyx).

I have noticed no improvments what so ever, and advise anyone to stick with 10.3.8, which on my machine (Ti powerbook. 550Mhz) has been the best update yet.

Parm

Sean Martin
04-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Good gravy, I downloaded the upgrade at the weekend and Safari has quit, not loaded, stop loading and genrally not playing. I thought there was something wrong with my modem/isp and was about to ring them when I read this. Any way found some useful bits of information here. http://www.macosxhints.com/

Darth Mole
04-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Nothing to report here (dual 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB RAM). The last four point-releases have done very little to my machine that's noticeable. Safari is supposed to be 35% faster at drawing pages or something, but I haven't noticed... however, it's working fine here. I must have a magic Mac.

Captain Obvious
04-20-2005, 08:23 AM
think I'll stay put 'til after I hear how LW fares in Tiger.
No LW problems in Tiger here.

From the few posts here, it sounds like there's no gain and perhaps a little loss in 10.3.9 with respect to safari performance...
JavaScript in Safari is between five and twenty times faster now. It's faster at CSS and HTML and just about everything else, too. Safari 1.3 is reason enough to upgrade.

I must have a magic Mac.
Most people have little or no issues with the upgrades. It's just that they don't post; only the ones who have problems post. ;)

toby
04-20-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm still on 10.3.3 :D

JackDeL
04-21-2005, 07:29 PM
No problems with 10.3.9 here, and I updated from 10.3.6! LW (7.5D) has been working just fine since last saturday when I updated. The only issue I had was neither the Finder or Toast could see my Firewire CD-R. I fixed it by just shutting the Mac down, instead of restarting (which I tried several times). If you follow standard disk maintenance (permissions fix/diskwarrior) before you update you should be fine. ;)

RonGC
04-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Well apple fixed my problems with Safari, they released Java update for MacOS 10.3.9, i installed through software update and all is well. Sites that were crashing safari now work once again.

Didn't take them long to put things right :-)

Ron

marinello2003
04-25-2005, 11:39 AM
My objects look absolutely crazy. they have squiggley lines and look all distorted.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Nigel Baker
04-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Hello marinello2003,

Sorry to hear the trouble you are going through.
Just posting to see if you got the new updates that came out yesterday?
I got two notifications of updates, one on security 2005 and the other a Java, if I remember correctly.
But all of these have nothing to do with OpenGL. Lightwave is running fine on this end with OS X.3.9 for myself.
Have you considered re-installing the X.3.9 update again just to see.
At this stange when you are going crazy anything is worth trying. See if anyone else can suggest something.

All the best and fingers crossed.