PDA

View Full Version : NAB is coming...err...here!!!

ted
04-15-2005, 10:35 PM
NAB is finally here!!! Yay!

If anyone has Internet access, Please post the daily highlights here for those who can't attend.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. I'll be working the NewTek booth Mon., Tues. & Wed., 11am-1pm doing the Kiki Cam. Stop by and say hi if you're in the area.

There is a lot of new technology and the evolution of even newer technology. It'll be interesting to see all the hype, lies and vaporware! :cool:

Stay tuned for more NAB news. Hopefully I’ll be bragging about my "craps" table winnings!!! :rolleyes:

harlan
04-16-2005, 12:04 AM
You planning on winning a crap table, ted? :)

ted
04-16-2005, 05:56 PM
CRAP, I meant "Craps" table! Thanks Harlan. I knew I could count on you! :p

I heard Kiki will be at the Toast 05 party! Nice to see her back on the team.
I'm sure many people at NAB will take notice that she's at NewTek's booth again!!!

Remember NAB people, keep the people at home updated. I don't have a laptop "yet". Maybe with my "Craps" winnings! ;)

pdrake
04-17-2005, 01:43 AM
harlan, are you still whoring yourself out for render nodes?

let me know if you want a newcastle. :p

byte_fx
04-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Was looking forward to a webcast from NAB but guess that isn't happening this year.

Gkad to hear that Kiki's back.

byte_fx

ted
04-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Just got back. WOW!
TriCaster was a HUGE hit. Besides a "BEST OF SHOW award, it got at least one more award from "Government Video", (I think).
By Tuesday NewTek only had 10 units left. I'm sure they sold out by now.

GENERAL:
The biggest news from my perspective was the continued evolvement of HD. Sony has gone one way and most seem to be going to the MXF format. Still too many changes and variations to make a purchase at this time. Renting will still be my option when needed.

I saw a wonderful presentation in the North Hall with several experts in all parts of HD development, delivery and standards. It seems like they are trying to "Encourage" all manufacturers to use a single standard. LET US ALL PRAY FOR THIS!!!
But at this point, Sony is trying to keep their proprietary format.

The other noticeable standout for me was that most companies were admitting some form of compression would be needed before HD will be practical for most users.
Avid was pushing a new compression they are working on. It looked pretty good, but they admitted it’s still in the works. (Arrrggg)

While Panasonic is still looking as my favorite option for a true 1080 HD Camera and Decks, I was disappointed to see all the downsides to their Pll. (Too much to cover here), but when the price drops by 90% and the storage goes up by 10X's, they seem to have a much better "Tapeless" option then Sony.

All considered, I think this was a pretty good show. While not having numbers, attendance seemed to not be overwhelming, but not bad either.

NewTek’s booth seemed busy during every session. At first I felt LightWave and VT4 were underrepresented, but after hearing NewTek’s reason and seeing the results, I think it was probably handled well.
Poor Kiki was very sick and was losing her voice. But I had countless people take notice and comment that Kiki was demonstrating NewTek products at NAB.

Well, off to bed for me. I gotta get a couple hours of sleep this week. :cool: