PDA

View Full Version : DrQueue the GPL distributed render queue now supports Lightwave

comadreja
04-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Hello,

my name is Jorge Daza I'm the main developer of DrQueue (http://www.drqueue.org) the open source distributed render queue.

I'm glad to announce DrQueue's support for Lightwave since version 0.61.0 released today.

DrQueue works on a variety of platforms including Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

Version 0.61.0 is a development release so I will need feedback from the Lightwave community to improve every aspect of the application. But I guess that most of you will be quite happy with it since it's quite advanced at this point and we're in constant development.

You can find everything on http://www.drqueue.org

Please, enjoy.

Best wishes,

Jorge

DaveW
04-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Looks good Jorge, I'll have to try it out on my next big rendering project.

Karmacop
04-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Sorry, I should have posted this when you first made the thread, but I'd just like to say thanks for adding LW support. I don't have a render farm or anything so I wont be using it but I thought I'd say thanks anyway :)

Marco Solorio
04-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Hello Jorge,

Thanks for the news. I actually spotted your website a couple of days ago. Good timing!!! :)

So what would you say the differences are between your software and something like ButterflyNetRender, or anything else (forget ScreamerNet... blah!).

We're looking into changing our renderfarm process from ScreamerHeck to something that's 3rd party; something dedicated to making network rendering much easier. Our farm is relatively small running between 9 to 15 nodes, depending if OSX stations are allocated to the mix (all our 3D stuff is on PC workstations except for one OSX station). We really only use our farm for the small jobs or test runs. The medium to large jobs go to ResPower.

Anyway, if you could provide some comparitives to your software against others out there, that would be great. We want to pin something down after NAB.

Thanks,

harlan
04-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Awesome news Jorge, thanks for supporting LW. It's greatly appreciated.

I'm looking forward to testing out Dr. Queue on OSX.

Thanks again,

comadreja
04-18-2005, 05:37 AM
Hello Jorge,

Thanks for the news. I actually spotted your website a couple of days ago. Good timing!!! :)

So what would you say the differences are between your software and something like ButterflyNetRender, or anything else (forget ScreamerNet... blah!).

We're looking into changing our renderfarm process from ScreamerHeck to something that's 3rd party; something dedicated to making network rendering much easier. Our farm is relatively small running between 9 to 15 nodes, depending if OSX stations are allocated to the mix (all our 3D stuff is on PC workstations except for one OSX station). We really only use our farm for the small jobs or test runs. The medium to large jobs go to ResPower.

Anyway, if you could provide some comparitives to your software against others out there, that would be great. We want to pin something down after NAB.

Thanks,

Well, the main difference between DrQueue and other solutions is that DrQueue is free (as in freedom) and Open Source.

Besides that, DrQueue supports a variety of platforms and renderers out of the box.

First time I ever heard of this ButterflyNetRender, differences with it... as far as I have seen (and I have never used it) is that DrQueue works in Windows, but also on Mac OS X, Linux, Irix and FreeBSD.

There are probably a lot more differences but as I said, I don't know the product.

LW support is still in a beta stage, so please, report your stories, good or bad, and we'll work on a better product.

Give it a try, you won't be dissapointed.

Best wishes,

Jorge

Marco Solorio
04-18-2005, 06:30 AM
All sounds excellent to me! We'll definitely give it a run through after NAB!!!

Thanks for the info, Jorge. Exciting stuff!