PDA

View Full Version : HELP - LW memory comsumption :( ?

Lewis
04-22-2003, 08:12 PM
Hi !

I have one big problem :)!

First here is my machine specs (probably related to problem):
P4 2.53 Ghz (i845PE MB), 1GB PC333 DDR (2*512), 200 GB HDD 7200rpm 8MB cache (80+120), 3DLabs Wildcat VP 760, WinXP PRo SP1 and LW 7.5b. Widnows are set to SWAP file onto both HDDs and total is 3GB

Now onto problem - I loaded one hughe object in modeler (acctualy i assembled many layers into one object with 20 layers) and total polycount now is 5,4 milion triangles (that's after 5 days optimizing where i managed to optimize (slowly detail by detail with QemLoss) 9,3 milion triangles to 5,4 mil. After few days i managed to get final object wich is 170MB file (modeler swaping very long but after 5 minutes he managed to save that file nice). Now main problem is in layout (wich much quicker loads and save that object anyway. I simply can't render that object :(.

I know i should get more RAM but now that's not possible 'coz i can't find 1GB sticks in 2 days (fastest delivery would be 30 days and cost of 1GB stick is 2-3 times bigger than 2*512 MB sticks :( ). So i set big swap and Layout loads model but he even fit's in real RAM :

Statitstic on layout says this :

20 objects (acctualy one with 20 layers)
polygons 5,39 milion
object memory 704,8M
surfaces 62
images 7
render memory 17,2M (only test 320*240 and segemt mem is down to 25 MB)
Free RAM 93,0M + 3399M (page)

And with allt hat 93+3G ram i can't render single fram at 320*240 ????

Lw just says this error : "Not enough momory for sorting arrays" :(. What should i do ?

Any solutions or layout just don't know how to handle swap properly :( ?

Thanks

Mylenium
04-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Hi Lewis,

LW cannot build it's render tree (sorting, allocating buffers etc.). You could try to set segment mem to a real small value (1 to 3 MB) and thus force LW to calculate differently. That's as good as it possibly gets. Also, like you noticed, LW will swap only reluctantly. I'm not quite sure if it will handle your scene with more RAM, though. Perhaps your Layers contain simply too much geometry. Even though in theory there is no limit, it helps to keep layers smaller than 65000 Vertices (better memory performance). Also try to remove unecessary surfaces, parts (selections) and bad geometry like unwelded vertices. What sort of model is it? Honestly I have never gotten beyond 3 million polys and that was a rather filled landscape scene.

Mylenium

Extent
04-23-2003, 03:29 AM
What kind of model is that? I think that the best thing to do is rethink your model. get rid of un needed details, use flat polys with clipmaps rather than geometry when possible, turn down the subpatch level on patches, use less sides on tubes, etc. etc. It dosent seem right but not putting in extra details is important. Is it worth spending 800 polys on something that may only be a pixel or two large in your final render? What you might do is take your main model and make render specific versions of it where parts you can't see are cut out and such.

If you can't replace anything and you really can't go less than the 5 million polys then I would try and composite it. Make super low poly "bounding box" style standins of each part of the model, focusing on the areas that you need to see for them to interact, then load everything in, animate it and save the scene. then take one of the standins, replace it with the full poly version and render just that part to an anim file, do that for all the parts and composite it all in post.

Lewis
04-23-2003, 05:39 AM
Thanks guys but only thing what i can try mor eis lower segment mem to 1-3MB as Mylenium suggested :)

Model is ultra high relistic thing with every part modeled (i'am not alowed to show image due NDA). Modelis ported fro CAD data so it have every single part and bumpamping is not an option in any case. It's REAL thing ;). And i already said that i lowered polycount from 9.3 milion triangles (no subpaches are there so there is no help in lowering subpatch level) to 5.4 milion tirangles wiht QemLOSS and quality is still 95% same. I made invisible parts very low quality and deleted all unnecesary (invisible) parts but i can't go any lower (i will try to optimize few parts more but i belive that i won't be able to go under 5milion polyes and preserve quality for close shots in BIG resolutions.

Model have 20 layesr and biges layer par tis 1,8 mil polygons (i could try to separate that in few smaler ones also - that' i will do next) but other layers are oftern under 500k polyes and osme are around 250k.

Coposite would be impossible in this case 'coz i need a LOT of renders (about 50 images) in BIG resolution (now in testing phase is 1024*768 but later will be 5100*3300)

So basicaly i'am stuck untill i find MB who can handle 2GB in 512MB sticks ?? :(. But i really can understand why LW says that render meme needed is 17 MB and he have 90 FREE ram and still say low memory :( ???

thanks anyway

Mylenium
04-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi Lewis,

Even at that large rendering resolution (for print?) I think your mesh is overkill. Perhaps you would have been better off re-modelling most parts. Even if you assume the best possible (print) quality many details will not even cover a few picas.

Mylenium

Lewis
04-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Mylenium
Hi Lewis,

Even at that large rendering resolution (for print?) I think your mesh is overkill. Perhaps you would have been better off re-modelling most parts. Even if you assume the best possible (print) quality many details will not even cover a few picas.

Mylenium

I know what you mean but if you can see model you would chaneg your words instantly ;). Model is great and everything have mosty tyny detial modeled so. Remodeling that complex model would be hughe work and it never would be so precise as it's now 'coz right now it's true CAD data with 100% exact proportions and measurments.

I managed to make some moustly unvisible parts less detialed with QemLOSS and now i have 4,9 milion polys in layout wich can be handled pretty good sicne LW left me few Megs to render with :). I lowered segment mem to 10MB and rendering 320*240 with radiosity (3*9) and area light son quallity 4 is about 6 minutes. SO far soo good but tonight i will set 1024 renders to see what' will happen in next 12 hours ;).

Mylenium
04-24-2003, 12:08 AM
Ah, you are using radiosity. Why didn't you say that in the first place? ;) The render memory LW displays normally only refers to the raytracing mode. For radiosity this value is much, much higher. Quite likely that's why it didn't render.

Mylenium

Lewis
04-24-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Mylenium
Ah, you are using radiosity. Why didn't you say that in the first place? ;) The render memory LW displays normally only refers to the raytracing mode. For radiosity this value is much, much higher. Quite likely that's why it didn't render.

Mylenium

Hehe, Yeh i'am radiosty freak :).

But i tryed with 2 area lights and that 5,4 milion polygons didn't worked either. Now when i squezed some polys and get total to 4,9 milion even radiosty renders (LW makes few MBs of swap and renders) works - it's slower but atleast it renders ;)).

thanks

Matt
04-24-2003, 10:08 AM
what about using a render farm?

Lewis
04-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Matt
what about using a render farm?

Project is under NDA so sending files to anyone isn't possible :(. I'am considering to replace my old E-mail machien with NEW machine wich will be useful for network render, then i will have 2* 2.53 GHZ over network wich could be usefull in these radiosity renders ;).