PDA

View Full Version : infected mushroom music video

dmeyer15
04-15-2005, 10:21 AM
I spent about a week and a half on this, and am pretty happy with the results. i might make a second pass in a few weeks, and am just wondering what people think ought to be fixed. The song is "I wish" by infected mushroom, and the whole idea is to parody a few video games, namely World of Warcraft, Max Payne (yeah, it also looks matrix like), and Mechwarrior. Let me know what you think.

This is one of my earlier frames
http://www.slashcast.org/images/iwish/hallway.jpg

And these are links to the same movie, in different format
i wish in QuickTime (http://www.slashcast.org/video/iwish.mov)
i wish in real player (http://www.slashcast.org/video/iwish.rm)

Feel free to poke around the Slashcast (http://www.slashcast.org) as well, all that is on there is done in lightwave.

thanks in advance

etyrihje
04-15-2005, 03:16 PM
For being made in such a short time and by just you alone? I think itīs amazing.
Depending on what level of professionalism and style you seek you could probably spend another year refining and tweaking it, but it works the way it is and it is impressive!

Keep up the good work!

intofx
04-15-2005, 05:57 PM
I spent about a week and a half on this, and am pretty happy with the results. i might make a second pass in a few weeks, and am just wondering what people think ought to be fixed. The song is "I wish" by infected mushroom, and the whole idea is to parody a few video games, namely World of Warcraft, Max Payne (yeah, it also looks matrix like), and Mechwarrior. Let me know what you think.
thanks in advance

There's some good stuff there particularly for a weeks worth of work. Please take the following as constructive criticism:

I'm a bit confused about camera placement and movement. Are you trying to emulate the moves from video games or are the moves supposed to be more naturalistic? If you hadn't mentioned the hommage to video games in your post, I might not have understood that this wasn't just about a "spy turtle" with access to expensive and sophisticated gadgets. I would say that you could make this a lot more exciting by adjusting and adding camera set ups. Motivation is everything and at times I found myself wondering "why is the camera here" or "why are we moving so much." Your current camera placement creates some confusion because does not follow the conventions of traditional coverage of scenes. I don't mind fluid, continuous camera movement but you must be clear and deliberate in letting the audience know where we are and what is happening. Not to mention some of the "flaws" in your animation can be disguised by sufficient coverage of the scenes. All of this goes out the window if your idea is to make this look like a video game. In that case, look at video games in terms of the things that are on the screen. Scores, counters, ammunition, energy levels, etc... Put those there and it will all start to make sense. But even still, I think that you need to address the camera moves.

Great start and the tune is kinda catchy.

Matt

dmeyer15
04-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback, both encouraging and educational. Much of the inspiration for the camera movement is to either move with the beat or to try to block out places where someone's arm intersects a jacket or something like that, but you have definitely shown me where i need to target the next round of improvements, if i ever get to them. Thanks very much for the encouragement

Dave

intofx
04-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback, both encouraging and educational. Much of the inspiration for the camera movement is to either move with the beat or to try to block out places where someone's arm intersects a jacket or something like that, but you have definitely shown me where i need to target the next round of improvements, if i ever get to them. Thanks very much for the encouragement

Dave

I'm glad you didn't see my comments as negative - sometimes these internet forums can seem cold without context.

I can understand the feeling to animate to the beat of the music but I'd just tell the story and let the editing fall in sync with the beat of the song when appropriate. Post the results if you work on this project again, otherwise, keep up the good work.

Matt

somnambulance
04-20-2005, 10:27 AM
I think its great for being done in 2 weeks. However there is a lot of room to make it better as the others mentioned. I would use a little more story telling with the camera and a bit more clairty in the action that is there. For example: it seems like he throws a grenade when he is up against the pillar, but it is hard to tell. If you show him pulling the pin out or something, it tells more. I think it would be good to do a second pass, it shouldn't be too hard to improve it by tweaking things a bit here and there.

monovich
04-20-2005, 02:24 PM
I think it's pretty cool. I really enjoyed watching it. The camera movements confused me in a few places, but I thought there was some clever stuff there, too.

Sure, it could be improved in a handfull of areas, but it's cool anyway.

Nice work.

14 and famous
04-21-2005, 08:47 AM
I also thik it's cool but shouldn't there be some sign like 18 years and older becuease I think that that guy is pretty agressive :D

really like it so keep the god work up :p

Mr_Torch
04-22-2005, 05:25 PM
I think for a week and a half you did a great job :cool:

starbase1
04-23-2005, 05:40 AM
I liked the camera movement, it tied in nicely with the music. I also really liked the first wooded envionment, and the way the camera swooped around there.

The things I think are most in need of improvement are:

In a couple of places, particularly near the end, the lighting is burned out, and looks overexposed. In a couple of places near the start the characters face is in complete darkness.

There are a few bits where the camera moves very fast in close, and there is huge movement from one frame to the next. I think you should beconsider doing those few frames with much improved motion blur if you don't want to slow doen the movement.

I don't really like the central characters face - it lacks any detail, and I get the contradictory impression of a happy sock puppet serial killer.

But as others have said, great for the time taken.

Nick