PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave accessing the internet?

zecryan
04-15-2005, 09:05 AM
I have a Firewall and i have set it so that everytime any program tryes to access the internet i allow or deny it. Now when i start modeler is say that lightwave is trying to access the internet and then says it tryes to act as a server, hub.exe also want to act as a server too, why does it need to? Plus if i deny any of these, lightwave freezes and does not respond. Why is this happening? Why does it need to access the internet? why does it act like a server?

I am still using it becuase i don't find it a threat but I don't see any reason for it to need internet access.

Kurtis
04-15-2005, 09:26 AM
zecryan,

LightWave is not trying to access the Internet.

LightWave uses TCP/IP protocols to allow Modeler and Layout to communicate through the Hub. Since TCP/IP protocols are the same that web applications use, your firewall thinks that LightWave is trying to access the Internet.

Tell your firewall to allow LightWave to do what it's doing, and everything should straighten out for you.

Alliante
04-15-2005, 10:50 AM
If you feel paranoid, you can always allow it to only access your localhost via TCP, the Hub and the other two applications will work as compiled with that setting (well, it does for me, YMMV).

zecryan
04-15-2005, 11:02 AM
ok that makes sence.

I am not worried, I trust Newtek, but when does the program freeze if i deny it access through TCP/IP?

mattclary
04-15-2005, 11:04 AM
In a nutshell, because it's trying to do something and it's not being allowed.

If you disallow it, start modeler and layout WITHOUT the hub, using a command line parameter of -0