View Full Version : 8.3 bug fixes?

04-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Can someone please tell us what bugs have fixed in 8.3? I sure hope the points select and tiff's are working correctly.

04-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Euhmm. LW 8.3? where did you see that? Where is it?

I haven't see it yet??

If they launch it, we will probably know what they have fixed (or broken ;-) )

04-15-2005, 08:23 AM
The NewTek homepage (http://www.newtek.com) links to the latest Newsletter which announces it impending release.

04-15-2005, 08:23 AM
I just got a Newtek News letter stating that 8.3 was in it's final stages and to look for it soon.

04-15-2005, 08:35 AM

My mistake.

I only looked at the download banners on the homepage. and there was only an 8.2.1 download button.

Still, we don't know what the bug fixes are.

Let's wait and see :)

04-15-2005, 08:39 AM
What do you think of the puny G5 update Thinksecret announced? There better be dual cores there or Apple could see far greater stock drops.

04-15-2005, 09:17 AM

If that's it, they suck..

they must at least go to 3 Ghz, or more if its an FX or GX G5. otherwise, I would not dare to go on stage if I was Steve Jobs..

If they are dual core 2.7 Ghz G5 MP processors, then We'll have to wait to see the performance gain. If the jump is high enough, or at least 50% extra speed over the current 2.5 model, then it will be fine.

They should have bumped the standard 512 to 1 Gig long time ago (for the high end model)... so no improvement there.

Harddisk improvement is ok (160->250 is good)

They don't mention the superdrive. there are rumors about the first blueray drive, but I doubt that.

If they can implement PCI-X and hypertransport 2, that would be awesome, but again, no confirmation there either.

Personally, I only care every 2 years about the Powermac. When I'm in for it. I recently bought this 2.0 dualli. It has to last at least 1.5 year.

More important is this: They better don't screw up the delivery like with the 2.5 this time. I orded a dual 2.5 the first of july 2004, to see that it still wasn't delivered in octobre!!!!! I went mad, sent in letters to Apple, hatemail, spam, phonecalls, letters with bullets... (just kidding) only the official letter of complaint, and the phonecalls are actually thru. But none of this helped. they told me, it could well take until january 2005 for them to arrive in Belgium. I cracked and bought the dual 2.0 instead. Never never never again, a story like that.

In the end, I'm not that angry with that decision! Cause, it seems that the company that made the liquid cooling, would only provide a 2 year garantuee on their products. And the lifetime of the liquid cooling system was not rated higher than 3 years or something. Apple expects lawsuits from people with ruined carpets because of the leaking liquid, and stuff.. Not to mention the repaircosts, ....

Nope, give me the good old fans!

04-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Actually Think Secret claims the dvd will be dual layer. I'm with you, I believe Steve is in for a lot of boo's if this is it after nearly 1 year. I myself am going to buy the high end of whatever it is because I can wait no longer. Currenlt I'm running a 500mhz G4 tower. Ya you read that right. I would probably be blown away with a Mini. I have $4000.00 in cash just burning a hole in my pocket, but Steve won't get one penny of it till these next machines come out. I guess I'll have to be happy with whatever it is.

04-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Yes.. I know that feeling! I also had a huge amount of cash waiting.

Lucky for you, you live in the states. If you are lucky and order straight away, you'll get it fast!

Belgium presented only 1% or less of the total demand for G5's last year. So when the weekly production was 1000 pieces, Belgium got only 10. But actually, the weekly production was even less. In august, Belgium received 4 Dual 2.5's

The total amount of backorders was 600 or 700 or so.

The distribution of the Mac's via percentage of demand is probably pretty fair, but still, the problem was the production that was crappy! They shouldn't have promised the new 2.5 by 1th of july, when they only could deliver it in november in Belgium. Being honest is better. Then at least I could have used that same 2.0 since july or even earlier instead of waiting until octobre before I could start working on the new machine.

what bothered me the most was the fact that "WHEN" you order your computer does not matter. it's "WHERE" that matters.

There were a lot of people who ordered 3 or 4 months later than me, and received the same week, or in 3 weeks. That really pisses you off, I can tell you that!

So good luck for you!! Hope you get it soon, afterall, they are blazing good machines!

04-15-2005, 11:59 AM
I hope they really make the say something at NAB, i'm tired of waiting.

Captain Obvious
04-15-2005, 02:04 PM
I think ThinkSecret should be ignored, mostly. Sure, it's possible that they're right. Does it matter, though? Just wait and see what they actually release.

04-15-2005, 02:24 PM
What do you think of the puny G5 update Thinksecret announced? There better be dual cores there or Apple could see far greater stock drops.

If that is indeed a reliable prediction, than it's fairly pathetic, for such a huge amount of development time.

It does say possible dual cores, will make the performance hike better than the 200 Mhz. Still 512 L2 cache, I was hoping for 1024.

I have had 2.5 grand burning a hole in my bank account for 3 months now, hope it's worth the wait.

We'll see


04-17-2005, 12:59 PM
i hope newtek fix the selected points bug in modeler when using a mac mini...that mac has the ati 9200 video card...otherwise lightwave is pretty much a no go for lightwve 8.0 on a mac mini, emac or ibook as they all use the ati 9200 chipset...

crossed fingers!

04-18-2005, 06:07 AM
I'd like and OBJ import that dosent crash LW. And EPS export for UV's.

Darth Mole
04-18-2005, 10:48 AM
NewTek today announced the forthcoming release of the free 8.3 update to LightWave 3D. The company said it has optimized the software for multi-core processor systems. Following NewTek’s 64-bit beta announcement, LightWave 3D is "leading the industry again" as "the first professional 3D graphics application to provide optimization and support for multi-core technology." Multi-core processor technology provides the power of two processors on a single chip. The release will be available to registered owners of LightWave as a free download within a few days.

In addition to full support of the new generation multi-core processor systems, this release offers enhanced vector blur routines and improved integration with other production tools via updated PSD support, as well as a new gradient option for HyperVoxels™ (LightWave®’s volumetric rendering system), improved text tools for Modeler, and new features and functions in the Scene Editor and Dope Track.

LightWave 3D, version 8.3 Includes:

Multi-core processor support
PSD Import/Export revised to include a variety of new options, filters and controls, as well as enhanced processing of LightWave's internal buffers for better compatibility on export
New "Text Layers" tool for creating text with a variety of controls and options
Improved Vector Blur routines
New "Relative Particle Age" gradient option for HyperVoxels
New "Blending" surface-tension control for HyperVoxels.
HyperVoxels now work in combination with fog
HyperVoxels refraction now works in combination with dissolve and fog
Point limit per polygon increased from 1024 to 16383.
Enhanced Documentation for LightWave's Object Properties Edge Tab functions

So let's hope we see some multicore Macs soon, eh?

Also: http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-18-05f.html