PDA

View Full Version : Working Windows Tab - GUI Suggestions 2/3

hesido
04-15-2005, 05:58 AM
In the second wave of my GUI suggestions, I take on the clutter caused by many windows you may minimize instead of closing it completely. Not "ground breaking" as the previous one ;=) but it is a step forward nonetheless.

Now of course there are windows you can turn on/off right on the side menu which is always reachable, or use keyboard shortcuts for them, but this solution not only compiles all minimized windows in one place, it does it so for the relatively obscure windows and also works for windows you may not want to close completely (e.g. Image Viewer)

This uses the space in the side menu bottom, which won't hurt much. None of my side menu set reaches that point anyway. It takes only the space of a few buttons. But it does save the buttons at the bottom or elsewhere that may be blocked by minimized windows in the old fashioned way.

The example windows is scene editor because I could squeeze it to the amount I wanted for the gif.

Here goes:

http://www.hesido.com/display/cgtalk/workingwindowsanim1.gif

Read the first GUI enhancement solution here. (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=35774&goto=newpost)

Kuzey
04-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Mmmmm...isn't that just replicating the buttons for those windows/panels from the top of the button list?

Wouldn't it be better to cycle through the windows using a shortcut key combo.

Kuzey

hesido
04-15-2005, 06:39 AM
Yes, as I have noted it does replicate that part but it does more in the sense that it also works for all windows you may open without going through submenus.

I must admit this is nowhere near vital but I saw myself minimizing most windows instead of closing them most of the time, so I believe it would be nice to have generic system like this. Then again, it is not as vital as my first suggestion. I just don't like those minimized windows stack on eachother and cover the buttons. But it probably seems it is just a bad habit of mine. (But I have to say this would be nice for the image viewer window as when you close it as opposed to minimizing, you lose the renders)

Cycle thru windows is good but the order is important too so there needs to be a visible guide. If you cycled thru seeing the working windows as in my suggestion, it would be the best ;)

And of course, it took me at least 30 minutes to do this animgif, that in itself gives me the motivation to defend this idea, lol..

(Well hopefully it took much less then the first mockup)

Kuzey
04-15-2005, 07:23 AM
:)

When you open a panel/window it gets added to the Window menu, the Dock/app menu and if you minimize a window then it gets added to the dock. So...on a Mac you have 3 ways to select a window...maybe it's the same on a PC?

What would be great is if you can assign a shortcut key to the list of open windows/panels in the Window menu.

But it does look very cool.

;) ;)

Kuzey

Castius
04-15-2005, 09:40 AM
you know, i like that idea alot. I'm not sure it's the best way to do it but it's a good start.

Karmacop
04-15-2005, 10:57 AM
I'd have to agree, good idea, maybe not the nest way of doing it. Dut it's good to see people still thinking about the gui :)

Kuzey
04-16-2005, 05:05 AM
I think I might have come up with a solution :p

1/ have it as a dropdown menu next to the open project menu( top right...where the layers are etc.)

2/ Sick with your design but have it as a semi transparent floating window that only shows up when you have the "alt" or "option" etc. keys pressed.

That way, you save button space :)

Kuzey

hesido
04-16-2005, 03:47 PM
I hope NT takes notice of these ideas :)

And please, we need suggestion 1/3 yesterday!