PDA

View Full Version : LOTR: My Precious finished!!!

Cesar Montero
04-15-2005, 01:54 AM
Very simple model. However, this little buddy was responsable of getting me into metal and glass surfaces. It was done in lightwave. Caustics simulated with point lights, done in FPrime 1.5. I should give special thanks to Leigh van der Byl for her support and guidance in this project. Hope you like it!

Lukesutherland
04-15-2005, 03:27 AM
ah, was expecting Gollum, but nice ring, texturing is very nice

Cesar Montero
04-15-2005, 04:05 AM
ah, was expecting Gollum, but nice ring, texturing is very nice

You are very right. Maybe the one thing that really suc** about my threads are the titles. Sorry again for the confusion. Maybe a better title would have been "The Precious".

Lukesutherland
04-15-2005, 04:44 AM
hey don't beat yerself up over it :P

got me in here :)

Cesar Montero
04-16-2005, 05:05 AM
I friend asked me for a more flamed version. I did this changing some texture and lights. Let me know what you think.

Bigboy
04-16-2005, 06:34 AM
You should probably use sub-D's for it, since I can make out the poly edges...
(unless it is of course, in which case up the subdivision a bit!)

:)

somnambulance
04-16-2005, 06:38 AM
I dont see any polys

Lukesutherland
04-16-2005, 07:10 AM
I can make out the poly edges...

I think you are seeing the reflection map.

I prefer the less saturated top version by a long way.

Bigboy
04-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Look at the inner ring at the top... You can just see the "edges". If this was moving you'd never see it, but in a still its quite visible.

Im a games coder, so I tend to see these easier, but it is there....

annaleah
04-17-2005, 09:55 AM
I prefer the top image also.
Maybe blurring the reflection map as it appears a little too reflective(or maybe sharping it Im not sure....lol).
Plus the lighting in the first one seems more real.

14 and famous
04-17-2005, 10:47 AM
I think that the second one is also cool but I think that you should a some glow intensity ;)

the first one looks great to

Keep it up

somnambulance
04-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Look at the inner ring at the top... You can just see the "edges". If this was moving you'd never see it, but in a still its quite visible.

Okay, I looked closer and your right. I have seen that with Sub D anyway and you have to bump up the levels in layout.

Bigboy
04-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Yes you do. As I said if its a video, you'll never notice. And if its part of a scene, I dont think so either. However, since its on its own, its the core focus of attention, so you should try and make it as smooth as possible.

With polys thats a nightmare, but with SUB-D's, you just bump up the sub-d level.

It would probably also help the wobbly reflection... the highlight should be a smooth line really...

I prefer the top one, but it should look more "golden"... its a bt washed out.

Cesar Montero
04-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Hi guys. Yes, you where right about the subD's. However, I don't like that image too, so I'll don't make a new render for it. I prefer too the first image. Thanks for the comments :)

Cesar Montero
04-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I prefer the top image also.
Maybe blurring the reflection map as it appears a little too reflective(or maybe sharping it Im not sure....lol).
Plus the lighting in the first one seems more real.

If reflections are blured , then the image seems to be a hard resin. A good enhacement would be to add anisotropic reflections along the ring. Maybe that was what your eye was searching :)

annaleah
04-17-2005, 06:50 PM
If reflections are blured , then the image seems to be a hard resin. A good enhacement would be to add anisotropic reflections along the ring. Maybe that was what your eye was searching :)

Yes,you know of my mind too well Mr.Montero...lol.I thought yes anisotropic because of my experience with Maya's shader systems and also yes maybe it would help here in this case.The reflections seem not too real with my eye.

Cesar Montero
04-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Yes,you know of my mind too well Mr.Montero...lol.I thought yes anisotropic because of my experience with Maya's shader systems and also yes maybe it would help here in this case.The reflections seem not too real with my eye.

I would first like to nail down metals without anisotropic. That way I will ensure that the intensity of the hotspots are done ok. In this project that is the problem: hotspots. After that, I'll go for anisotropic. It will take some time to do that because I want to do it without any plugins as hypersmooth or G2.

I'll do this ring again in the next weeks, when I learn a little bit more about metals.

jhopfenblatt
04-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Good stuff, but the elvish/mordor/whatever lettering seems too flat IMO. If you made it so that the lettering had more of an "etched onto the ring" look, your ring would be that much more awesome. Some sort of fiery smoke or glow would help IMO. :)

Cesar Montero
04-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Good stuff, but the elvish/mordor/whatever lettering seems too flat IMO. If you made it so that the lettering had more of an "etched onto the ring" look, your ring would be that much more awesome. Some sort of fiery smoke or glow would help IMO. :)

The actual ring has no carvings on it. The smoke idea is nice ;) !!! I'll do a better ring when I get a better concept of metals. Thanks for your interest

jhopfenblatt
04-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I saw the movie too. :cool:

What I meant was more of the letters burning out of the ring, or something like that. :(

Cesar Montero
04-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I saw the movie too. :cool:

What I meant was more of the letters burning out of the ring, or something like that. :(

Oh I see..yeah, would be nice. I'll make another ring in a month or so. I like this one, but I found that it could be done better, I just need to learn more things :)

Thanks again!

Dave Allen
09-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Are those your computer speakers reflected in the ring? lol

Stooch
10-11-2005, 02:58 PM
i think its too saturated.

Cesar Montero
10-11-2005, 03:29 PM
i think its too saturated.

This is one of my oldest works.
It is in fact my first fprime render.
I invite you to see my new works at www.archeidos.com

I'm sure you will like them much more.
This is an example of the same topic, but better executed.

http://archeidos.com/images/wedding-rings/wedding-rings.jpg

Stooch
10-12-2005, 09:03 AM
now those look MUUCH better, i like your site too. great renders mang!

Schwing
10-13-2005, 11:57 AM
I think that the second one is also cool but I think that you should a some glow intensity ;)

Better than glow, light streaks coming from the lettering. But only a little as it could easily be over done. :thumbsup: