PDA

View Full Version : Best way to optimize radiosity settings?

Kanephan
04-14-2005, 06:38 PM
I've heard conflicting stories. Some say that low threshold with low Rays Per Evaluation decrease quality and increase render times. I've also heard from another source that low threshold with high Rays Per Evaluation will speed up render time. I want a good balance of quality and speed. What is the best way? And what does threshold actually determine?

Intuition
04-14-2005, 07:04 PM
There are a few ways to optimize radiosity renders.

First off, you can use a small res background image that has been blurred in PS.

SOmething like 400x300 resolution. Make sure you blur it up good with gaussian blur or similar in PS. WHat this does is reduce the amount of data the radiosity is calculating.

THen for reflections you can use a spherical reflection map that is the full res version of the background you blurred. Then set the refletions to raytracing+spherical map. This way you will still see other geometry but where the scene would reveal a BackGround you will see the high res reflection map.

Then since the radiosity is using the low res blurred background (in imageworld or textured background) to trace the lighting, less samples are produced and the render runs faster.

4x12 is usually good enough for great results.

Kanephan
04-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Well I'm mainly just talking about the raw attributes. I'm just using radiosity to light up a scene naturally so that every object becomes a light source to some extent. It's not really for a true reflective object.

Kanephan
04-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Also, what is the difference between Monte Carlo's effects and Interpolated effects?

Avebeno
04-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Lo res! Great idea - Thanks!