PDA

View Full Version : Help resting objects in/on one another?

icn3d
04-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Is there anything in LW itself, or perhaps a plug-in, that would assist in laying out scenes where objects are resting on or in other objects? Something that will help prevent objects from going through each other? Here's a for-instance that I just went through: I set up a scene where I had a desk surface with 3 pencils laying on the desk and resting at various angles on top of each other. I also had a glass on the desk with 2 pencils leaning inside of it. Setting up the pencils on the desk was challenging; setting up the ones in the glass was a royal pain--I constantly had some part of a pencil intersecting some part of the glass or the other pencil.

Any tips that would help for future setups? Or is it merely a matter of skill? Thanks.

::icn3d

Wonderpup
04-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi icn3d,

You could, in theory, use hardbody dynamics- sort of drop the objects onto each other and see where they fall. In reality I suspect this would be a lot more work than just eyeballing it. If you had a lot of objects, and weren't too fussy exactly where they ended up, dynamics may be worth while, but for the relatively few objects you describe I would just use the quad views and do it manualy.

Kuzey
04-14-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm sure there was a LSript/plugin that did this but I just can't remember what it was called.

Best of luck!!

Kuzey

Surrealist.
04-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Try using some of the modler tools such as aligner, rest on ground, rotate to object etc. to set up "object groups" for instance the desk and pensils, pensils and glass etc. Desk easy, pencils in glass more complex.

Aligner for instance lets you place an object in the BG and align a foreground object to one side of the BG object. This would be a good starting place for the pencils on the desk

Once in layout these can become "rest positions" and by adjusting the pivot point you can animate them from there if needed.

Also remember you can constrain roations/movements in layout by clicking on the little white boxes next to the numeric readouts. For instance disabling the pitch/bank rotation or Y movement for the pencils on the desk once set in case you want to adjust them in layout further.

On the earlier suggestion though I did see an thread where a guy used dynamics to drop a bunch of beeds into a bottle so they would all rest in the right place. No reason this would not work for the pencils in the glass.

Just some ideas.