PDA

View Full Version : Text Field For Object Referencing- Gui Suggestions 1/3

hesido
04-14-2005, 01:17 PM
This suggestion is 1 of 3 I am going to make.

This might have been asked before, but I had lost my net connection and had all the time in the world, so I did this animgif without caring if it had been discussed.

The idea is that every dropdown list giving reference to object/bones should be accompanied by a text box.

The depicted GUI is entirely fictious, so please do not hotlink the image (or post it elsewhere without proper explanation). Sorry for not putting an appropriate watermark.

http://www.hesido.com/display/cgtalk/objectselectors.gif

Kuzey
04-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Cool idea.

Or you can combine the text box and the dropdown menu into one and save space(it's called a Combo box).

You could also add an auto text completion feature to that...just to speed things up.

:D :D

Kuzey

Matt
04-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Good idea, great mockup too!

hesido
04-14-2005, 05:15 PM
@Kuzey: Combobox, nice! Thought about it too for a split second but it was harder to mock and this I thought would be easier for the Lwave development team to implement without having to fiddle with much of the GUI code. Thank god we have space around almost all dropdownlists! ;=) But yours would be the most ideal solution.

@Matt: Thanks, well it took almost all afternoon, sounds crazy but I made a screenshot of each step in Lwave using different parts of the GUI and composited using photoshop and 'animated' using Imageready :) I went nuts while doing it. Hey wait, I went nuts first and THEN did it (that's what it takes)

Hopefully it really gets the message accross, much better than bla bla.

Stay tuned for the other 2 gui enhancements. One of the mockup's ready but I am not releasing it yet, till people absorb this, lol.

Karmacop
04-14-2005, 06:31 PM
It's a good idea, they need to do something to fix the really long drop down lists. It's just crazy working in large scenes :(

Kuzey
04-15-2005, 05:04 AM
A sub menu could work. Organizing lists into smaller groups based on surface names or objects etc.

Kuzey

hesido
04-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Still, it wouldn't hurt to type in the object name ;=)

I am really positive such a feature I'm talking about can easily be implemented to lightwave, let alone a scene with hundreds of objects, it is frustrating to me when I work with my rig for my CG guy, to select bones from the drop down list is such a hassle. There, simply grouping won't help. I should be able to type in the name (or part of the name, that is) to reach a bone. And of course, there's no reason why two methods cannot co-exist, e.g grouping is the only sane method to remove clutter caused by nulls or set of objects you may be using for your particle system

Kuzey
04-15-2005, 05:52 AM
The typing part would remain the same, just the dropdown list would be grouped into smaller groups..if you chose to do so ;)

Kuzey

hesido
03-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Is this really hard to do? Esp when Kuzey's combined box idea (where nothing causes extra space, just replace every box with a list with this type of combined box kuzey mentions.
edit: Well it may be hard to do, but this is a must. If only I could, I would program a combo box to NT and send the code for their review!

This is the sane method to select anything, and requires immediate attention.

I felt awful seeing the lw9 demos without such a feature.

Dodgy
03-27-2006, 02:29 AM
I'd like to see autocompletion :) As you start typing, it brings up the list and you can arrowkey down it... Or use wildcards as well...