PDA

View Full Version : Bored Out of My Mind With Lightwave!...

paulmcg1
04-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey everyone, anyone ever get bored with lightwave? I like lightwave its just Im really bored with it...What do you suppose I do to get "un-bored"?

Also, I want to make money using Lightwave and put my skills to use...but I dont know how! And im 15 :o Any ideas that would work?

Thanks

ericsmith
04-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Hey everyone, anyone ever get bored with lightwave? I like lightwave its just Im really bored with it...What do you suppose I do to get "un-bored"?

Pick a project. Something substantial, like a short, or even just an elaborate scene that will take you weeks to complete.

Also, I want to make money using Lightwave and put my skills to use...but I dont know how! And im 15 Any ideas that would work?

Finish school. Study art. Not just how to use a computer, but the theories and fundimentals of how to make great looking images. Work hard, and make a killer demo reel, with projects like the one above.

In all honesty, I've seen young people like yourself get into 3d because its easy to play around with all the cool settings without ever sitting down and doing any real work. Forget about Lightwave for a moment, and put your brain to work creating something really good. Look at some professional work for inspiration. Then, get back into Lightwave and use the tools to make your vision become a reality. Chances are, you'll fail miserably the first dozen times or so. But keep pushing, and every try will get a little better, until one day you look at what you've done and say, "Hey, I've actually got it."

Once you've hit that point, getting paid is easy.

Eric

badllarma
04-14-2005, 01:16 AM
Lightwave IS boring¬!!!!!
It's a computer program thats output is determind by the users creative input, full stop that's it.

There are no quick work arounds for 3D there is no such thing as make it cool button it's down to bloody hard work and a lot of creative and logical thinking.

Hear is my work flow for a personal project.

1) The idea (what do I want to create?).

2) Research/Education has some one else on the planet done this before in 3D? Is there anything form the forums I may be able to pick up with regards to problems they have had or the best way of doing things?

3) Paper and pencil before I touch a PC or even turn it on I draw a sketch of what I want or if it's an animation a set of drawings and story boards. (In this section as well it's good to get a few of you fav films out maybe to give you an idea of camera angles, composition etc.. A really good trick if photography is not one of your strong points it to turn the sound off on a movie and study how the camera is moving look at the fore, mid and back ground to every shot and see what makes the image become the film you watch.

4) 3D time! Time to finally get your hands dirty :)

So as you can see without number 1 your in real trouble, you need to study the creative process as Eric say's art is much more important than the computer operators knowledge also I would add a good knowledge of photgraphy and the way a camera works and composition will always help you in your 3D work.

And of course when your not being paid or on a deadline it's about FUN :D

JCG
04-14-2005, 03:16 AM
If you have a story you want to tell, Lightwave is fun because it allows you to tell it without having to hire actors, spend on lights and film stock, finding locations, buying prosthetics, costumes, sets, etc. You can do it all and the only cost (besides LW) is time. (Well, you might need voices and music but they're both relatively easy to add after the project is completed.)

Now, if you don't have a story to tell, I can see how 3D would become boring, since all the shapes you create don't really have a purpose. Not everyone is a writer or enjoys being one. One solution is to find someone who is and convince him/her to write a story that you'd enjoy animating.

If you can't find anyone who's good at writing, pick up a book (preferably one in the public domain so you can show everyone the results ^_^) and think of how you would have written that story or a scene of that story if you had been in the author's shoes and then animate your version.

colkai
04-14-2005, 03:32 AM
At 15, if you're already bored, no offense intended, but maybe you shouldn't think about wanting to make money with 3D. A lot of the work is tedious, just ask Leigh over at Spinquad about UVMapping. ;)

Even when you are fully skilled, there will be tedium, as Badllama said, LW is just a computer program, the skill and vision is down to you.

I also agree 100%+ with EricSmith, get yourself into a project if you really want to push yourself, especially if you are having trouble coming up with projects of your own you can complete.

A year ago, I considered myself very much a 'noob' and decided to join a collaborative project. I wasn't very good at anything and, if I'm being honest, had no true goal about what it was I actually wanted, but I gave it a shot, even though I felt it was over my head.
A year down the road, I have learned so much, tackled things I had avoided because "i was just learning", and really got to understand something about working in a group / "studio" atmosphere. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to push themselves further and learn more than they think they are capable of. :D

Don't let the seeming scale of a project put you off, start, like with everything, on the small things. Don't think you can build a fully furished apartment? So, build a table.. build a chair..build a vase..build a pictureframe.. etc.. before you know it - there it is. :)

Wade
04-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Make a movie show us your work. :)

gjjackson
04-14-2005, 10:45 AM
If you're stuck on a project; check out some graphic novels. They can give some inspiration. In that you wouldn't have to do any writing etc, because the graphic novel would essentially be a storyboard for, to get started with.

Marcia
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
What everyone else said, plus get up and walk away from the computer. Spend some time doing other things.

My oldest daughter is your age, and she burns out on the computer and schoolwork in general this time every year. Not sure where you are, but here springtime has kicked in full blast. I think a lot of people are sick of the things that kept them occupied all winter.

Go outside. Make a sculpture. Play tennis. Play baseball. Spend more time with friends. Get involved in real life. LightWave will still be here waiting for you when you feel more refreshed.

mattclary
04-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Get married, have a kid, remodel your house, work 40 hours a week. You will sell your left kidney to get some quality alone time with LightWave. :(

Intuition
04-14-2005, 11:59 AM
HELL YES!

I TOTALLY AGREE Matt!

Sometimes I wish the schedule would relax a bit so I could play with lightwave as oppose to working with it.

:D

Nice asessment of my reality.

colkai
04-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Get married, have a kid, remodel your house, work 40 hours a week. You will sell your left kidney to get some quality alone time with LightWave. :(

What Matt says, I'd kill to spend half the time some folks do with LW, trouble is, by the time you get old enough to realise that, it's too late! :p

gordonrobb
04-14-2005, 12:31 PM
The last three posts are all spot on.

I also agree with the ones that said get yourself into a project. I have been messing about with LW for about 3 years. Since I got an idea for a short piece to show skills in VFX and 3D, I can't get enough time on LW and my skills have dramatically improved.

I normally look athis forum wishing I was as good as most of the members, but now I wish I was 15 again. :(

GraphXs
04-14-2005, 09:59 PM
15 years old, and alot of freedom! Go play games, create art, ride yr bike, hang-out with yr friends! Have Fun and be young!

As for being bored w/Lightwave, I'm with the last three post: house, wife, two kids (3yr old and a 7month old) 50+work week, always fixing or cleaning something and I need time to play some XBox. I miss my lightwave and want to start my next animated short.

Enjoy your freedom while you still have it because once you get a girlfriend your not going to touch LW. ;)

art
04-15-2005, 06:59 AM

Oh, Matt, what you said is so true...

ravantra
04-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Right on Matt......Your aim is spot on. I need 32 hour days to finish what I would love to work on. I have no time to be bored......Youth is wasted on the wrong people.....send a few years my way.. :D

theo
04-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Oh yeah- nothing like a little reality to kick boredom in the seat of the pants Matt.

Bye, bye boredom...hellloooo there my darling reality is that you standing there with that run in your pantyhose and sixteen shirts- none of which you think look quite right on your gorgeous body this morning? Oh and looooook there's a huge lawn right on your head that needed mowing two weeks ago and, and just take a close look at that runny, smelly, quite heavy poopy diaper attached to that screaming, runny-nosed little chunk of wonderful reality and what's that on the table next to you? IS that- is that a........pile of very real envelopes chock full of...of... checking account suction devices!!

Yupper- wake up call Paul- get your arse to work while you actually have TIME to be bored. That WILL NOT LAST- this thread is a testament to this very harsh but often pleasant reality.

In all reality a cute woman and a couple of cute kids really are the main things in life anyways. Who are you without that connection? Sadly nothing really..... you are here to live and die- do it well. Living with JUST number one can be incredibly empty sometimes- I mean, we only run so deep. How many years does it take to figure out something you have been dwelling in in since your first second out of the womb...not to terribly long I am afraid.

Look what ya started clary-

mattclary
04-15-2005, 08:40 AM
LOL! I'm sorry you all share my dilemma! ;) LightWave is just a hobby for me, but what I find VERY ironic is that when I was younger cool stuff like LightWave just didn't exist or was prohibitively expensive. Now I'm older and can afford it, but I don't have the free time.