PDA

View Full Version : Modeler - Text - Problem

Cunhambebe
04-13-2005, 07:54 PM
I've got a problem with Modeler when I try to create text - don't know if it's me (newbie here) or Lightwave itself. I've tried everything: Manage Fonts (True Type), Create> Text; Numeric Text Tool; Multi-Text; Text > Logo....I usually choose one of these ways + extrude and the final result is a problem with some letters such as H and T, sometimes M and N.

reading the manual I've learned this:
Page 950 - Occasionally, when making a relatively large bevel with the Bevel tool, buffer points can cross over each other and produce render errors. If this is the case, try regenerating your text using Sharp Corners and using the Edge Bevel tool to compensate for any sharp edges.

I was just wondering why I get these errors. Is that OK to choose Extrude instead of Bevel? Any tips?

One more thing: is there's any way to type directly in the Modeler letters such as , etc.?Thanks in advance.

Silkrooster
04-13-2005, 09:40 PM
When creating text, extrude the face first to get the depth of the character, then bevel the face. When beveling, you do have to be careful, it is easy to over do the bevel and get rendering errors, like you have. Also some characters do not behave anyways, you'll find that out, when you can take that same character into layout and it renders just fine. It has to do with open GL.
Silk

prospector
04-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Before you bevel or anything else, use the 'knife' tool on the offending letters.
it will fix them.
they have nothing to do with bevels. If you just use the text tool, you'll get the same thing with flat 1 poly letters.

just cut the say 't' just below the top and the 'h' just above the horizontal piece.

Cunhambebe
04-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the tip on OpenGL - I've already heard something about it :-) I'll check the text as wireframe - let's see what I've got. Thank you very much.

use the 'knife' tool on the offending letters
- I'll try to do it - thanks!!!!

Cunhambebe
04-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Yep, it was openGL. Thank you very much. Text is almost prefect - please take a look at the uploaded image. I used buffered corners instead of sharp corners. Could that be the problem? Is there any way to fix this - because if I delete one point...a whole polygon disappears (as it should be). Tks in advance!

Silkrooster
04-14-2005, 12:53 AM
I'm trying to figure out why there are so many polys. It seams to be an excess. See what happens if you select a bunch of polys and use the merge poly tool(shift-z). That may be the difference in buffered corners vs. sharp corners.
Silk

Cunhambebe
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your help, Silk...In fact I was mistaken there. I used Sharp Corners isntead of Buffered Corners, but anyway, it doesn't matter - I've tried both and the outcome was just the same. On the other hand, I may have found the easiest and probably the most correct way to fix this (please don't laugh): before selecting <extrude> or <bevel> or whatever, just delete the extra points. That's it. Object stilll looks odd in the modeler due to OpenGL but it renders prefectly!