PDA

View Full Version : paint fx in maya

cresshead
04-22-2003, 04:27 PM
has anyone used paint fx in production?..i'm taking a look at maya 4.5 ple and paint fx look at first glance to be a mighty powerful set of tools..for grass,trees,fire and fur/hair

has anyone done a full scene in maya with it here?

comments most welcome

steve g

Mylenium
04-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Hi there,

Well, while Paint FX look great when viewed from a distance (I mean plants etc., not paint strokes) they look really c..p when getting to close to them. However, there are enough moments when this will be good enough for you. The speed improvements in Maya 5 are nice but not so important. In Maya 5 Unlimited there is a feature that allows you to convert them to real geometry so they will even show up in reflections/ refractions or render in Mental Ray.

Mylenium

juanjgon
04-23-2003, 02:52 AM
I think that LW users can make all things that Maya PE can do using HD Instance plugin ... there is no way to "paint" instances over objects, but render integartion is by far more powerfull than PE, you can use any object with any LW surfaces, and render them integrated into ray tracing (reflection, refraction, etc.). It is fast and evetually there is no limits in complexity of scene.

Regards,
Juan J. Gonzalez

hrgiger
04-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Mylenium
Hi there,

Well, while Paint FX look great when viewed from a distance (I mean plants etc., not paint strokes) they look really c..p when getting to close to them.
Mylenium

I think it's ok to say crap on the forum.

juanjgon
04-24-2003, 03:05 AM
ok ... i am not Maya users, so i supouse that PE has a lot of applications and features that i dont know ... but thinking in my work in architecture visualization i see a Maya demo where a user grow trees and grass and other objects over a surface to create a type of forest ... HD instance is not like PE, but with it you can render (ok ... only render ... not paint) scenes like PE scenes, full integrated in ray tracing and very fast. I am not sure, but i think that objects rendered with PE cant be reflected or refracted or ray traced shadows by other objects .... if it is not true sorry ... like i say i am not Maya user .... but i only say that render technique to imitate some of PE effects can be done with instances ....

Regards,
Juan J. Gonzalez

cresshead
04-24-2003, 05:54 PM
hi so far playing in maya 4.5 ple with paint fx the results are WOW!...fully animated grass or flames of fire...i read somewhere that hinted at maya 5's version of paint fx capability to convert to polys was only for the unlimed version of maya...is this true?..or is all of the new features of paint fx in maya 5 available for maya complete as well....i know were going well off topic [lightwave] with so much talk of a maya module but if it's a good tool then i'll be adding maya along side lightwave for certain tasks rather than upgrading my max 4 to max 5 or max 6 this year...in the end they are all tools to be used don't you agree?

cheers for the input so far.

steve g

Mylenium
04-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Hi there,

Yes, conversion to polys will only be available in Unlimited. Actually this is the only way to have them reflected and refracted. Basically with this you get the same result as with HD Instance. To CIM: Yes, they are totally different technical approaches, but I think to a degree you can get the same workflow (for plants especially). In rendering HD Instance is far superior and not so limited.

Mylenium

j3st3r
04-25-2003, 09:41 AM
I made a forest for Platoon game cinematic. It had some problem, for example if there where too many strokes, the ground`d masked out the paintFX. So I rendered all the frames 4 layers. The hero was LW of course

kamil_w
04-25-2003, 09:44 AM
Pfx to poly is in Maya Complete.

In addition Pfx strokes can be drawn as polys.

It is called Mesh brush.

cresshead
04-25-2003, 10:44 AM
cool!
i had my fingers crossed that they were!

"Pfx to poly is in Maya Complete."
looks as though my ditching of max will go ahead this year to be replaced by lightwave 8 & possibly maya 5 complete..along with the possible aquisition of motion builder to boot seing as it's so cheap [$200]

cheers

steve g

:D

harhar
04-25-2003, 04:16 PM
i don't think anyone actully used maya PaintFX in production

j3st3r
04-25-2003, 04:34 PM
What do you mean production?

If a game fmv is production, then we used it with Platoon game cinematic, and my friends used it with Sudden Strike`s game cinematics. I think it is production. PaintFX is really cool, if you know how to use it.