PDA

View Full Version : 8-bit image maps in 16-bit renders?

Johnny
04-13-2005, 10:33 AM
I hope this doesn't seem like stupid question: if a still or animation is rendered to 16-bit, must any image maps used in that scene also be 16-bit to get the same benefits of better color adjustability and less banding?

Johnny

Lynx3d
04-13-2005, 02:15 PM
The same benefit as what? Scenes without image textures?
Well, without having proven it experimentally, i'd say yes, BUT, you still get some benefit, probably substantial depending on the case.

Pixel blending and AA may hide the 8bit "steps" to some extent, also the lighting may effectively reduce the contrast of an image map and saving as 16bit enables to regain some of it in postwork.

But so far that's just theory :D

Johnny
04-13-2005, 02:23 PM
The same benefit as what? Scenes without image textures?

Heh..sorry I wasn't more clear...I'm thinking of a weakest link scenario, such than if an 8-bit map is used in a 16-bit render, will the areas with the 8-bit maps look inferior, or only when doing post work?

I'd imagine that a 16-bit render is a 16-bit render; just wondering if I can save myself some file size and processor overhead by using 8-bit image maps in creating them.

J

Lynx3d
04-13-2005, 03:05 PM
(...) will the areas with the 8-bit maps look inferior, or only when doing post work?
Well as long as your display device is effectively 8bit/channel every image with more than 8bit/channel will still look just as "bad" unless you do postwork with them obviously...or do you have some ILM-style equipment to bring HDR on film? :D

An 8bpc texture map may limit the possibilities of postwork, but not necessarily as much as saving the rendered image in 8bpc.
Why don't you just give it a try? I'm no big post-worker i have to admit...

But another question, where would you get true 16bit/channel textures anyway? Digi cam with RAW image support? (although that's usually 12bits AFAIK)

Johnny
04-13-2005, 03:09 PM
But another question, where would you get true 16bit/channel textures anyway? Digi cam with RAW image support? (although that's usually 12bits AFAIK)

'zactly. I have a Nikon which offers a RAW option; those images are 16-bit.
As long as I'm doing this 16-bit thing, I might as well REALLY do it.

J