PDA

View Full Version : Auto dividing n-sided poly with relation to it's surrounding points?

Mr Mouse
04-13-2005, 06:38 AM
Auto dividing n-sided poly with relation to it's surrounding points? - specifically into subpatch friendly polys.

Usually I would do this kind of work by hand to control flow, but is there a way to automate the subdivision of the n-sided poly?

Regards

Mr Mouse

mkiii
04-13-2005, 09:24 AM
With a convex shape such as this, I would go for a few inward bevels with zero shift, then use the Spikey tool, plus a right click to create a fan of points in the centre, (Multiply/Extend/more/ menu).

I don't know of an automatic way of doing it.

Cman
04-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I wrote some scripts here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CMAN_LScripts/files/), polysubdivide, that will carve up an n-poly into a "pie" of quads.
But is that what you're after?

Mr Mouse
04-13-2005, 02:51 PM
mkiii, thanks for your tip.

I love automation me, can't get enough of it.
Computer, make me a .......

a Clarke tongue twister

"twin-wheeled existentialists steeped in the sterile excrements of a doomed democracy, whose post-nietzschean sensibilities reject the bovine gregariousness of a senile oligarchy"

I've just started listening to my old vinyl copies of the great Manchester bard.
Great stuff, in these sterile times seems fresher than ever.

Mr Mouse
04-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Cman, that's exactly what I'm looking for.
I'm presuming though I'll have to get a yahoo identity.
And I've stubornly prided myself on avoiding being yahoo'd all these years.

Is there a snowflakes chance in Hell that you may post it here?

( in a quiet voice on my knees and with eyes closed in nervous anticipation - " does it work on the Mac?")`

The Mouse

Just joined your group at yahoo - a treasure trove of scripts many thanks indeed.

Cman
04-13-2005, 05:32 PM
It's just an l-script so it should work on Mac.

Red_Oddity
04-14-2005, 02:54 AM
Doesn't the Make Pole/Create Pole tool work? (Handy tool from David Ikeda that is now standard in LW8)

Do some Bevels, run Make Pole and then SubD...like so:

Mr Mouse
04-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Red_Oddity - thanks for this reminder, especially with regard the bevels and pushing things further into the centre.

mkiii, thanks for pointing out that the spikey tool can be used like the make pole tool.

There's so many ways to skin a cat in Lightwave.

My original query was initially from the basis of whether a mesh of mainly horizontal and vertical 4pt polys could be automated as a divide across the surface of an n-sided poly driven by it's external points ( like the division attached). Making it easier to carry on adding subpatch detail on that face.

I've picked up some fine tips - thanks all.

liquidpope
04-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Hey, did you know this?

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=33681&highlight=n-gon

Mr Mouse
04-15-2005, 08:24 AM
liquidpope , thanks for you're tip on adding more smoothing points around the outside of an n-gon by using metaform subdivision on an n-gon's surrounding quad polys.

Got my old brain going on how useful metaform is in creating smoother organic shapes than the other divide methods .

cheers