PDA

View Full Version : please add XGrid support

royL
04-12-2005, 07:04 PM
and grid computing support for win users ;)

I think this could prove a very useful feature for those who render photoreal Hi-Res images

Karmacop
04-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Lightwave doesn't need to support grid processing, the OS Lightwave runs on needs to support grid processing.

Lightwolf
04-13-2005, 06:39 AM
Lightwave doesn't need to support grid processing, the OS Lightwave runs on needs to support grid processing.
Huh?
Grid procesing won't help you very much with the current architecture of the LW renderer, whichever way you look at it, especially with single frame renders.

Cheers,
Mike

Karmacop
04-13-2005, 09:51 AM
As long as it multithreads it should be fine shouldn't it? The OS should take care of everything in between. That's how I see it :confused:

Lightwolf
04-13-2005, 10:15 AM
That's not how it works though...
LW only uses a max of 8 threads, so how will you scale beyond 8 processors? How can the OS know which parts of the memory used by LW is needed by which processor/thread? (Except for just copying everything over). You can't just magically take any app and multi-thread it, so how should you magically be able to do something even more complex?

XGrid provides the tools for an app to use, but no more. What you expect is like expecting any app to be able to support Quicktime (or whatever), only because you happen to have Quicktime installed on your machine.

Cheers,
Mike

Karmacop
04-13-2005, 09:59 PM
No, I expect the OS to be the interface between the hardware and the software ;)

As long as a program can properly shoot off threads then it should be fine. Of course you're the programmer so I wont argue with you :)

Lightwolf
04-14-2005, 03:48 AM
No, I expect the OS to be the interface between the hardware and the software ;)
But distributed rendering is a software and not a hardware problem... ;)

As long as a program can properly shoot off threads then it should be fine.
Well, in this case LW can't ... and in the case of "gridding" it will need a different strategy anyhow.

Once you have to push huge scene/object/image map databes around a network, things get nasty quite quickly. Rendering fractals over a network (easy to do in paralell, hardly any data to push around, independence of calculations) is a piece of cake compared to this.

Cheers,
Mike

Lynx3d
04-14-2005, 06:49 AM
Xgrid can migrate threads?? I very much doubt that, actually i'm almost sure it can't.

Actually, not even MOSIX can or will in most cases, first because threads typically share the same address space, and second, it would perform very poorly since those applications are designed to run in SMP environments, not clusters/grids. Basically, you have to forego pretty much any kind of intercommunication so far from what i read, which definitely wouldn't be usefull for a Raytracer that shares a LOT of data between threads, even though much of it is not modified.

Currently only special coding with something like MPI will enable a software to be run on a cluster efficiently, or the beowulf guys are just all stupid...you know, there IS a reason why those expensive supercomputers get built by SGI etc., and not only "cheap" G5, Itanium or Opteron clusters exist...