PDA

View Full Version : Associate light to particle?

whiteshark79
04-12-2005, 02:55 AM
i need to make sparks, every spark must have a light, how can i do this?

thank you very much

Alex ;)

Lottmedia
04-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Not sure if this is viable for you but you can use FXLinker to copy a light (probably a point light) to as many particals as you wish (and system can take) just set up the partical system how you need it and then create a light how you need it for the scene (as you'll have to individually tweak each spark otherwise, so just get the first one right)

Hope this helps, seemed to do fine in my little test.

J-Rod

starbase1
04-14-2005, 04:11 AM
Does this work with lights as well? I knew it worked with objects, but had never tried with lights - this would be very handy!

Lottmedia
04-14-2005, 01:12 PM
I wasn't sure at first either but I did a little test and it worked fine. Just remember you can really bog your system especially if you use Radiosity.

J-Rod

starbase1
04-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Yes, I can imaginbe that spraying radiosity ources around is messy!!!
:D :D :D

What I have in mind is a bit simpler, I want to make a firework that sprays out small lens flares. Don't suppose you know if you can set flare strngth to particle age? Seems you are a lot further along than me!

Thanks,
Nick

Lottmedia
04-14-2005, 02:34 PM
I don't think so.... Partical age only really comes up when texturing the particals themselves so lens flare wouldn't normally give you the option..... But thinking about it, you might be able to use an expression to link the two together. Make a false texture using partical age (since you woln't see the particles anyway, just the light) then link the lens flare to it through the expression editor...... Nope, I think if you did that it would be for the whole scene, I don't think the individual lights can have their own lens flare settings, but I could be wrong.

At the moment I just began a software re-build of my lightwave beast, so I can't throw together a test. Should be finished by tonight or tomorrow and I'll try it then

J-Rod

jumbo
04-18-2005, 07:44 AM
I've done something like what you're talking about with the flares, but haven't gotten as complicated as fading the flare's intensity.

My thought was to use envelopes, but you would probably have to manually modify them, unless you can somehow make the starting key always at the particle's birth.

Can you get the effect by parenting emitters together and have different flares linked to the different emitters?

It might just be simpler to use regular particles and set their luminosity to particle age.

starbase1
04-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I am currently tied up doing something for a friend - an animated version of Jean Michele Jarre's Oxygene cover!

But I'm looking forward to playing with particle emitters and flare lights.

Perhaps I can fake it - if the particles / lights go up and down in a small fountain, I can perhaps more easily control colour by height, so they get very dark near the ground...

or stick my firework on a water textured surface so they will vanush as they go below it, (logicaly wet!)

:D

siproductions
04-26-2005, 08:43 AM
You could use one point polys or small spheres with Luxigons added to them, then use dynamics or a morph map to animate them. Then you could add an expression that would make the lights get darker the closer it got to the ground.

somnambulance
05-08-2005, 09:59 PM
As if I didnt have enough to do! Now I want to make a bottle rocket :mad:

WizCraker
05-10-2005, 04:05 AM
I think it would be more econimcal and less expensive to just use the method of 1 point polygons as your sparks turn on glow and jack that value up until the spark meets your needs. Attaching lights to the particles is expensive and a waste of resources. But that is just my opinion.