PDA

View Full Version : maestro rigging training videos??

cresshead
04-11-2005, 08:17 AM
hi i bought meastro this morning and have had a good play with the models that come with it..and it works pretty darn good too!

now, i want to rig up my own character and was wondering where the video's that cover setting up the bones in modeler were as they do not seem to be on kurv studio's website though i do remember seeing them somewhere!

my main thing is i want to make sure that i'm placing to bones in the right locations in my model and with a correct method...should i use move points or move bones and am i allowed to rotate skelegons at all etc......

help! :confused:

also the face rig doesn't seem to be working...in my attempts to get it to work in the default female or male model from meastro...they might need to make a video on this also as it doesn't appear to be the same method in getting it up n running as a bone rig.....and the documents do not cover how to do it [pdf] either.

i'm currently using 1.02 so if the face rig doesn't work with that can someone let me know! [using lightwave 8.2 on pc]

ericsmith
04-11-2005, 09:58 AM
hi i bought meastro this morning and have had a good play with the models that come with it..and it works pretty darn good too! now, i want to rig up my own character and was wondering where the video's that cover setting up the bones in modeler were as they do not seem to be on kurv studio's website though i do remember seeing them somewhere! my main thing is i want to make sure that i'm placing to bones in the right locations in my model and with a correct method...should i use move points or move bones and am i allowed to rotate skelegons at all etc......

The "Proper Bone Setup" section on page 24 of the User Guide pretty much covers all the issues you need to worry about. There's really only two issues that can mess things up if done wrong:

1. We recommend that you model your character with arms out (T position), but if you really need to set it up with arms down, rotating the arm bones down in modeler will tweak the bank rotation on the finger bones. You'll need to use "Edit Skelegons", or another skelegon editing tool (like the one from DStorm) to rotate the vector of the bone back to straight up, from the finger bone's point of view.

2. When moving the foot, it is best to grab all the foot bones as a group and move them, to avoid accidentally rotating the ankle bone from it's straight up position.

Other than that, the whole system is quite flexible. It doesn't really matter if you're in point or poly mode, or if you use move or rotate. And as far as where they go, just follow your instincts. It's pretty much about matching human anatomy.

lso the face rig doesn't seem to be working...in my attempts to get it to work in the default female or male model from meastro...they might need to make a video on this also as it doesn't appear to be the same method in getting it up n running as a bone rig.....and the documents do not cover how to do it [pdf] either. i'm currently using 1.02 so if the face rig doesn't work with that can someone let me know! [using lightwave 8.2 on pc]

Since you're using 1.02, there's one extra step to take to make the facial rig work. After loading in the character, you need to manually apply MorphMixer to the character, then open up the MorphMixer panel and navigate through the groups until you actually see sliders. This makes the channels available to Lightwave, so Maestro can see them. This is covered on page 5 of the User Guide, but I can see how this point could have been overlooked.

In version 1.1a, this has been addressed, and you can just run the facial rig like any other rigging step. I would strongly recommend that you use this version. There are some really nice and imporatant improvements.

Eric

cresshead
04-11-2005, 11:16 AM
thanks for the prompt reply!

i was holding off 1.1 as there was a thread here about it not being too stable so i thought i'd try the previous version first!

i'll delete the old one and try the now one and see how that compares with stability as the 1.02 is rock solid stable...also read that 1.1 can use motion mixer which will be really nice!

so far this look to be "the one" having tried acs4 and buying td4 a while back..this plugin looks to be very flexible and well priced.

cheers!

steve g

zecryan
04-11-2005, 02:23 PM
I google for it but can i get link like to meastro just to take a look at it.

Orimar
04-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi zecryan:

Just in case you haven't found it yet, here's the link to the Maestro site:

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro/

.O.