View Full Version : Lightwave 8

04-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Hello, I was about to purchase LW, but heard all these rumors about the lead programmers leaving to start their own company, blah, blah, blah. What I am interested in knowing is if I should wait for a future version (8) or go ahead and buy now, not knowing what is in the future? Can't find any release dates.

I REALLY can't afford to make another mistake, I spent many years learning a dieing program, and now I need to feel VERY confident in a purchase, this is my mental wellness we're dealing with here =)

I don't want a sales pitch, nor do I want rumor mongers, I just couldnt' find the info myself, so I am asking here. I just want/need some solid advice or info please, thanks!



Wow I am sorta slow, I actually missed the Lightwave8 thread RIGHT below mine =( I guess I thought I was looking at my future post!?!?! oops, but I still could use some comforting =) heh heh

04-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Well, basically it says it in another post, but here's the short version.

Programmers leaving. Dont' worry about that.

Lightwave 8. Well, it's not definate but it looks right now like they might be at least announcing it at Siggraph (july). Also, Dan Ablan's book Inside Lightwave X (X meaning either 8 or whatever name they're going to call it) is available for order at Amazon, although obviously it won't ship until October.

Should you wait? Maybe. Newtek will normally upgrade users for free if they just bought an old version a month or two before the new one comes out so I would wait until at least June to buy. This way, if 8 does come out in July, you'll get a free upgrade. If not, well how long do you really want to wait?

04-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Looks like I should just wait for Siggraph (I live in San Diego) and find out for myself. Waiting, more waiting, grrrrr I dont' know if I will even have the cash then! Descions, descisions.....

Thanks for the reply Giger