PDA

View Full Version : Bone Problem in Character Rig!!!

anakranism
04-11-2005, 01:23 AM
hey everybody. i've been working on this little character animation piece for the last month or so, off and on, and yesterday i was adding some touches, when i noticed that the two end bones in the right pinky finger had gone out of whack. suddenly they're coming out of the next finger over, and the right pinky is twisted up a bit. i'm not sure how this happened and i would really like to find out what i did to cause this(so i don't do it again!), but most importantly, i need to figure out how to fix it! i've tried going into bone edit mode, but when i come out of it the top of the head of my character collapses. WHAT DO I DO??? any help would be greatly appreciated. i really don't want to start over from my last save. i'd be losing a ton of work. also, the bones are all in the right place in the model in modeller.

http://www.vintagehawaiianshirt.net/ebay/pinkyproblem.jpg

Dodgy
04-11-2005, 03:24 AM
Make sure parent in place is off in the Options, then reparent the bones to your little finger bone again. Then Rest the bone to make this the default position for them.

anakranism
04-11-2005, 10:49 AM
thanks dodgy. that sounds like what i forgot to do. there's so many things to remember when working with bones. i don't suppose you have any ideas how this problem might have happened?

anakranism
04-11-2005, 03:06 PM
i've reparented the bones and reactivated parent in place. i rerecorded the rest position for both bones. BUT... the pinky is still twisted!!! the bones are now working properly and doing what they're supposed to throughout the animation, but the pinky itself isn't responding. it's as if the point weighting is no longer in effect. i'm sure i forgot to do something, but i don't know what it is. HELP!!!

Dodgy
04-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Make sure your keyframe is the same as the rest rotation. Try using Modify>General>Reset while in rotate mode, and it'll go back to it's rest position/rotation.

anakranism
04-12-2005, 12:05 AM
i reset the rotation at the zero frame, as you suggested, but it still didn't fix the problem with the pinky being twisted. i hate to keep bugging you, Dodgy(or anyone else, for that matter), but do you have any other ideas or suggestions?