PDA

View Full Version : networking hardware question

Z_Render_8
04-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Hello.

I am going to have an opportunity to do some networking rendering in 2 weeks. I am new to this so I would like to ask some questions about the hardware end. Right now I have a AMD computer (single Processor)with an intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit PCI card.

The new computer that I will receive in 2 weeks will have the same PCI card as well. I was told to get a network router to connect the 2 computers and to match the speed of the PCI card. I am not familiar with the rendering transfer speeds when 2 computers are connected. Should I get a router that that can handle the 1000Mbps? I was thinking of getting the linksys 8 port Gigabit router.

I might have 2 other Pentium computers to throw in. Is it okay to mix AMD and intel processors together? Right now the 2 computers are althon chips. Should all of the PCs have the same matching PCI cards and running the same OS?

I downloaded the screamnet information here and will be studying it over the weekend. I just figured I'll ask some question about the hardware. I appreciate any help or tips on this matter. Thanks!!!! ;)

Z Render

MrCoffee
04-10-2005, 02:31 PM
To answer your first question, you dont really 'need' gigabit for screamernet. However since you have gigabit cards you might as well get a gigabit hub as not to bottleneck the rest of your hardware. You may not notice a difference over 100baseT untill you start doing more stuff on the network then you will be happy you have that overhead. Secondly, most definitly you can mix amd and intel without hassle, however keep in mind that if you have a slower computer, it will slow down everything as you will be waiting for that last frame from it.

Z_Render_8
04-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Thank you for the information Coffee. I hope to get screamnet running without too much trouble. I was told it is a little tricky to set up. :eek:

donny
04-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Hello
I would take a look at this post since it gives information about using different cpu's together.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=35682