PDA

View Full Version : vue 5 and Lw

d1wojo
04-08-2005, 03:18 PM
I was woundering is this a good marriage of apps or is there something better out there for terrians. I'm looking at making terrians and then using them in LW.

DMarkwick
04-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Generating terrains in Vue and exporting them to LW would be a waste of Vue, especially as LW cannot hope to render nearly as well as Vue can. A better solution might be either:

Purchase Vue 5 Infinite, it has a LW plugin that allows you to match camera & light data so you can render each part of your scene in its appropriate application and build your animations in a composite

or

Get Terragen, which is free, and will allow you to import terrains into LW at least as well as Vue can.

Vue scenes do not render well in LW, and take much more time to do it.

NanoGator
04-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Generating terrains in Vue and exporting them to LW would be a waste of Vue, especially as LW cannot hope to render nearly as well as Vue can. A better solution might be either:

Purchase Vue 5 Infinite, it has a LW plugin that allows you to match camera & light data so you can render each part of your scene in its appropriate application and build your animations in a composite

or

Get Terragen, which is free, and will allow you to import terrains into LW at least as well as Vue can.

Vue scenes do not render well in LW, and take much more time to do it.

Are Vue renders pretty quick? Can you go into detail about that? (I've been thinking about it, but I'd like to hear from somebody that has used it and LW.) (But not necessarily together.)

DMarkwick
04-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Well, Vue will render Vue terrains much, much faster and better than lw would a LW scene export, as you would expect. I think they use all sorts of fancy custom algorithms that don't translate well into textures or polygons.

As an example, the below scene took about 5 minutes to set up, and 1 minute 10 seconds to render in final mode at 720 x 576 (PAL resolution). Not too shabby.

This is rendered in Vue 5 Infinite, and its really the only version I'd recommend for LW integration work, not only are there synchronisation plugins but the Ecosystem works extremely well at making quick but densly populated landscapes. Take a look here (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Products/vue5infinite/) and run the demo reels for a feel of what you can do, and whether you can make use of any of it. Pay particular attention to the synchronisation part of the reel. The Ecosystem feature is not only for trees & plants etc, any object can be used, I have made some tests with buildings & made some very dense scene animations. I won't bother linking you to any, you won't see anything any better than whats in the Vue 5 Infinite demo reel :D

There are a few teething problems, I'm currently sending files back & forth to the tech support with regard to some export issues, but I expect some resolution to this soon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/DMarkwick/FirstRender.jpg

badllarma
04-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Terregen does not export texture thought

DMarkwick
04-09-2005, 03:27 PM
You wouldn't want to use a generated texture in any case, you'd never get the resolution you'd need. I found I get better results exporting a terrain, then making the texture in LW.

d1wojo
04-10-2005, 02:35 PM
If you do the camera matching thing how do you interact your character with the scene?

DMarkwick
04-10-2005, 04:34 PM
If you do the camera matching thing how do you interact your character with the scene?

Well the thing is that it's just that - scenery. You can generate Vue scenery for behind, in front and around your character, but anything you need the character to interact with must be brought into Lightwave. In general, you won't need your character to interact with hundreds of background trees or foreground vegetation :D

If you need your character to walk amongst the scenery, then you must build (or import) some terrain for him to walk on, even if it's just a blank terrain with no texture so you can get shadow info, then composite in. My advice would be shoot from the knees up :D

c0deb0y
04-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Bryce 4 exported LW objects and comes with some back issues of the creative magazines like 3D World and Digit. You can keep an eye on ebay to see if you can get one of these back issues.

I have no idea how well it worked though. I never took the plunge because I figured terrains could just as easily be created with texture displacement maps in LW.

I imagine Bryce 5 by Daz should do the same or more, though I've heard the tree features really bog the program down and again I'm not sure about the exporting quality.

Mr Mouse
04-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Is V5 stable on the Mac platform?

I'd heard bad reports about repeated hangs and crashes with V4.

Ofcoarse as we all know Lightwave for the mac does neither of these things.

I've always been impressed by the renders I've seen coming from Vue users and had wondered if there was a greater sense of intuitive play in setting up a render in Vue as compared to Lightwave.

Would I be correct in assuming that the lighting rigs can be exported so that a background scene can be rendered in Vue and then a character could be lit, textured and rendered in Lightwave using the imported light set up - and then the whole thing could be comped in photoshop?

theo
04-24-2005, 09:59 PM
I use Vue 4 Pro from time to time. Frankyl I think the Vue people over-sell the Lightwave connection way to much as I find the two do not work as seamlessly together as their marketing seems to imply.