PDA

View Full Version : FEMA Poster

automan25
04-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I did this poster for FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) about a year ago. It showcases 5 ways to reduce the cost of flood insurance.

This represents my first real project using Lightwave. The posters were produced at 20 x 30 inches on a SWOP press. As such the rendering was very high resolution...about 8000 pixels wide if I remember correctly. The rendering took about 3 days to complete. I rendered it in 25 sections and reassembled them into the final comp in Photoshop. The text and layout elements were done in InDesign 2.

If you're interested in seeing more detail you can download a low-res version from HERE (http://home.comcast.net/~automan25/posterLayout2-SWOP-lowRes.pdf).

http://home.comcast.net/~automan25/posterLayout2Thumbnail.jpg

bcicio
04-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Really nice. Quite a number of people in New Jersey this past week could have used your poster.

automan25
04-08-2005, 03:28 PM
That's what I heard; sorry to hear that. I'm pretty sure that the FEMA folks in New Jersey have copies of the poster already. Hopefully it's getting some good use.

ned
04-09-2005, 06:30 AM
Would you be willing to post your workflow in more detail?

i.e. Kind of output files (24, 32), size, what kind of files you sent to printer, etc.

The reason I ask is that I teach animation and design in a high technology school and I am constantly having battles with printers when my students try to get comething printed commercially (tee-shirts, large posters, high quantity posters).

The students always 'manage' to send the wrong kind of files. (Altho after talking to the printers, I'm suspicious that the printers really don't know what they want.)

So I am trying to collect, whenever I have a chance, the workflow from the designers viewpoint rather than the printers viewpoint.

automan25
04-11-2005, 10:49 AM
I usually send .pdf files to the printer. Any printer worth their salt will be able to take a PDF. Adobe InDesign has built-in pdf export so it's really easy. If you're not using InDesign then the correct technique can be a little more complicated. I can go over that with you if you like. I always work in the "Adobe RGB (1998)" color gamut and then export to pdf using the "U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2" CMYK profile. When exporting to .pdf for printing purposes you should also select Acrobat version 4. This will collapse any transparent effects you may have in your design ensuring that they will print correctly, provided you have the color set properly on your computer.

Finally, you should always request a color "contract" proof when working with a printer. A "contract" proof simply means that the printer is willing to provide a proof that is an exact representation of what the final product will look like, and that the job contract is dependant on this. In other words, if the final product doesn't look like the proof you signed off on, then you either don't pay or the printer will reprint the job free of charge.

I hardly consider myself an expert on commercial printing, but I have done a few commercial jobs and took a course in school on pre-press and printing. The course was really helpful for me. You might consider getting a guest speaker from a large ad agency to come and speak to your class about pre-press.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]