PDA

View Full Version : exporting rigs?

smmuck
04-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Hello all! I am in a jam! I need to export a rig I made and apply it to another model... does anyone know how to do this?????? I had a book but the dog got it :mad: plz any input would be great
thanx all
sm

faulknermano
04-07-2005, 10:16 PM
use the export RIG and import RIG function. more info on page 456 of the downloadable lw8 manual.

ericsmith
04-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Just be aware, there a few important things the .rig format doesn't do, like maintaining the hierarchy of control nulls. It also doesn't save expressions, and I don't think it does motion plugins either.

The hierarchy issue is really the big one, in my book.

Eric

faulknermano
04-07-2005, 11:15 PM
another suggestion: replace the model using the Replace Object with Object command. :)

SplineGod
04-08-2005, 01:32 AM
The rig file format is a good idea. You can save a whole or a part of a rig as a rig file and reuse them. As Eric pointed out there are some limitations to it.
I would follow Lernies suggestion and just swap the characters out and then use the bone tools to tweak the bones into the new positions. This is pretty much what you would have to do anyways if you loaded in a saved rig. You can use the rename hierarchy command to give the bones a new prefix or suffix. :)

nemac4
04-08-2005, 08:29 AM
You can also use notepad to open the .lws and do a seach and replace,.. if you name your rigs properly,.. you can update names for bones, weightmaps, morphs, and even expressions.

Before the rig format was availble I rigged 30+ characters with this method in a matter of minutes. Of course,.. they all were the same size and type of character.