PDA

View Full Version : OT DVD writer problem

badllarma
04-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Ok totally off topic but it was my main source of backup for LW models and scenes so here the problem I had an old 4 speed DVD burner that just refused to work with Nero once I had a look on the net it seemed to be a problem with the burner.

So I put that in an old machine and bought a new NEC 16x dual layer writer and today updated my OS the XP Pro with SP2 and I'm still having problems the writer starts writing then freezes up at 1% any one any ideas??

Lewis
04-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Hmm few things come to my mind :

1. Look for new firmware on NEC support pages
2. Check for NEWest NERO 'coz i've had similar probelms with some drives if nero wasn't ben updated to latest available version.
3. Try to burn on different meadia type.

cheers

badllarma
04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Cheers Lewis

!} First thing I though of there is currently nothing there for this model
2) I'll check but I'm sure we are upto date
3) Tried two media type so far and this is the same problem for both also I know for a fact this media plays on virtually everything so very relucktant to change. Customers bringing back discs that don't play is the last thing I need :)

cheers for the advice though
andy

Lewis
04-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Ok Then if nero is also up to date check these things laso :

4. Be sure that your DVD-RW isn't set to PIO mode in hardware device propertyes (it should be UDMA but i've seen few occasion when windows suddenly after restart change it to PIO and slows down data transfers)
5. Try to reccord on lower sppeds as 2x or 4x just to see will it freeze then
6. Try to record form other program and not only NERO
7. If nothing of that works then go to this forum ( http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php )and ask guys who have NEC (probably 3520 model ??) to see what can be done and does anyone have same problems.
8. Maybe DVD-RW is broken really so you'll need to try return it to store :(.

byte_fx
04-06-2005, 09:28 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,119265,00.asp

byte_fx

Silkrooster
04-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Check the properies of the drive and make sure the check box for witing to this drive is not checked. With this checked the drive uses the driver built into windows instead of the one supplied with the drive. If you did not install another driver, then make sure it checked or forget I made a post. :rolleyes:
Silk

riki
04-07-2005, 05:16 AM
You can buy cheep recon ones here from Lacie. Dual layer disks are still expensive though.

http://www.lacie.com/products/clearance/products/?id=10008

starbase1
04-07-2005, 05:26 AM
I had some problems with an unusable DVD writer - eventually traced to some spyware that had snuck under the barriers somehow... God knows what it was doing...

Nick

lardbros
04-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Right, as we're on the topic of DVD writers!! Does anyone have problems with reading the DVD's they write on other DVD drives? I can write stuff, and read it in both of my DVD drives (even the player which is really old) but i've taken the discs of my work to my brothers place, and his PC's drive will open the DVD but won't copy anything from it... it just hangs Explorer until you eject the disc. Also tried it on his mates laptop (brand new with a DVD writer) and that didn't even recognise that a disc was in there.

Sorry for taking over the thread, but what do people do to get maximum compatability on other PC's. I've never understood this +R and -R stuff, but does this make any difference with compatability of data DVD's??

Thanks for any help!! :D

starbase1
04-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Yes, this kind of thing is VERY common with older kit. When I first started producing DVD's it was similar - they would play fine in both my PC drives, and my player, but some people could read some, others different disks.

Worse was the planetarium using the disks in the end - I never did get menus to play right on that!

I suggest you try some different brand disks, and see how you fare with them...

Nick

Lukesutherland
04-07-2005, 12:48 PM
we are having the same problems at work with four new LG dvd writers....the ONLY reliable burner that seems to play and read everywhere is our trusty sony writer - so frustrating...

verbatim media seems to be the best for us as well - we always slow burns down to 4 x as well

lardbros
04-07-2005, 01:29 PM
This is what is so frustrating!!! I have burned an animation i produced onto a DVD (the same discs as the ones that haven't been reliable) and it even worked in a VERY finicky Sony DVD player that is a good 4 years old. It's just data discs that i'm having big problems with. It's a Lite-on, and the software i got with it didn't even work properly, anything i copied wouldn't even work. After getting Nero, it all copies well, but just won't read in some computers. It's annoying because i want it to be reliable, all my animation frames are backed up on DVD's and i want to be able to go back to them when i need them and that may be in a few years when i have a new PC!! :rolleyes: Wish it wasn't so confusing with the +R and -R discs, i just don't know the difference! :D