PDA

View Full Version : advice: how to estimate size of surface

Johnny
04-06-2005, 04:44 PM
I have a scene in which there's a movie screen, kind of like a large-screen projection panel. I'm going to project a movie on to a portion of the screen; my movie in reality is 720 x 480.

Now for the tricky part: part of this screen is going to detatch from the rest of the "panel" and I need to figure out how large to make THAT section..it needs to be just the size of the movie.

Now, the animation in which this all takes place is itself 720 x 480, so the part of the movie panel which flies away will be smaller than that..

I just can't get my head around a good method to calculate how large that area is.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

J

MonroePoteet
04-07-2005, 10:01 AM
The movie texture can be stretched to any size polygon, so just make the "screen" polygon have the correct aspect ratio. Even that's not critical, since you can turn off "width wrap" and "height wrap" on the texture and center it on any size polygon.

Make the Screen polygon the size that's appropriate for your scene. If it's a big screen TV, maybe 3.6 meters by 2.4 meters (7.20/2 x 4.80/2)? Now THAT's a big screen TV!

mTp

Johnny
04-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Ahh...so simple!

Thanks!

J