PDA

View Full Version : Speed Model: Perfume Lightwave 8.2

Cesar Montero
04-06-2005, 04:15 AM
Here is a speed model I did today to practice. No lights used, just radiosity and the new FPrime to speed up things. Very simple, but I think I'll consider it done to do something more fancy. Feedback always welcomed :)

miso popovic
04-06-2005, 06:23 AM
look's pritty cool for a speed model, realy nice material definition!

nthused
04-06-2005, 09:24 AM
A shame FPrime doesn't support caustics - that would really make the image impressive. Nice work though.

Tiger
04-06-2005, 10:13 AM
It looks very...real!
Did you use hdri!

Cesar Montero
04-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Tiger:
Yes, I used HDRI :)

nthused:
I'll simulate caustics later on with point lights. I'm just practicing so far, but I'll do it for a more pretty render.

miso popovic:
Thank you, I made a quick navigation of your gallery, and it looks ultra cool!

Here is a speed model of the same theme from today's morning. I'll try a different way of doing crystals today.

miso popovic
04-07-2005, 11:25 AM
i love that glass! could you say something about the settings? :)

Cesar Montero
04-07-2005, 11:38 AM
i love that glass! could you say something about the settings? :)

I think I'll do a tutorial for it. It is not only the settings for it as a surface only. It also has to do with the geometry and way to configurate the scene. I promise I'll do it this week or the next one :) I'll post on my threads a link for it.

PS: I need to still try a trick to make things even better, that is why I need a little more time before making a tutorial with good info :)

Tiger
04-07-2005, 02:39 PM
A tutorial...that would be great!
Glass is one of my favorites :)

Great design there, Cesar!

ravantra
04-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Cesar,
Great to see someone from Mexico doing 3D. I spent my summers in Guadalajara working at my uncles store in Tlaquepaque......boy that was 20 years ago! I now work and live in Chicago as an Architect.

Arturo Navar

Cesar Montero
04-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Cesar,
Great to see someone from Mexico doing 3D. I spent my summers in Guadalajara working at my uncles store in Tlaquepaque......boy that was 20 years ago! I now work and live in Chicago as an Architect.

Arturo Navar

Then you know perfectly mexican art. Tlaquepaque is a great place to see all mexican typical artistic creations. Right now it is more beautiful than even some years ago. More places, more art shops, etc. You just gave me the idea of doing some mexican glass work in 3D!!!

I now live at Vancouver to study at www.vfs.com . I just moved in some weeks ago.

I can see that your avatar is great, please let us know when your work is published :)

ravantra
04-07-2005, 03:26 PM
I remember buying some hand blown glass pitchers and glasses, the glass had air bubbles and other imperfections that gave it a unique quality. Look forward to seeing more of your glass works. Good luck in Vancouver!

Kuzey
04-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Coolness!!!

I can't wait for the tutorial, it's going to be a killer.

Kuzey

Cesar Montero
04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Coolness!!!

I can't wait for the tutorial, it's going to be a killer.

Kuzey

Thanks!! I own most of it to the forums and Paco Herrera and Tim Dunn. So It is time to give something back to the community.

I have a new finished render with FPrime with some simulated caustics. This is my first attempt to simulate them. I'll make them more real in the next project. This time I used lights for coloring too.

Kuzey
04-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Wow...it's as if I just opened up a magazine!!

Kuzey

otacon
04-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Very nice. Your getting very good extremely fast! :eek:

Cesar Montero
04-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Very nice. Your getting very good extremely fast! :eek:

Your work has been my inspiration since I started. I got the idea of making a perfume from yours. That is a really inspiring comment coming from you. Thank you! :)

Can you post some feedback on spinquad too? I'm just so glad to hear that. You made my day. I'll get better. I promise! thanks :o

mattclary
04-08-2005, 06:10 AM
Excellent work! Good job with the faked caustics!

Cesar Montero
04-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Here is a 1000 width image. However the original is 1500x727. You can see it here CLICK HERE FOR FULL HIGH RES COMPOSITE (http://www.archeidos.com/images/cg-composite.jpg)

Tiger
04-10-2005, 05:03 AM
Wow...Superb work!

Now we just waiting for the tutorial :)

null studios om
04-10-2005, 07:54 AM
:D
you had a nice render there man,looks pretty real...
you used an HDRI right? could you send it to me....
?

Cesar Montero
04-11-2005, 06:22 PM
:D
you had a nice render there man,looks pretty real...
you used an HDRI right? could you send it to me....
?

I used a commonly used HDRI image. I still however added a Gamma correction. Here is a screenshoot of the image and also of the value to the gamma filter. Here is also a screenshoot of the ligthing setup as well as an explanation of it.

Luminosity panels:
I worked as a photographer some time. So I realized that to area lights really suck to simulate sofbox effects, or other devices used at product photography. So the best thing to do is to simulate them with radiosity. The blocks you see by the side are 100% luminosity panels. You can attain the look of the first two renders with just these and the HDRI.

Area lights:
There is one light on top with very little intensity. I used it just to simulate ceiling radiosity. Maybe just another white panle would be enought. The main lights are the ones by the right, and left side. On the right we have a blue light. On the left we have a pink-violet one.

Caustics:
The lights on the table are used to simulate caustics (I still don't like them completely). They have the same angle that the blue light has, so that it appears that the light comes from the same direction. However, the angle has to be tweaked in accordance to the object. I still need to learn this part a lot. So I'll don't say anything more to confuse you with things that are maybe wrong.

Distant Light:
Since I'm already using a Backdrop image for HDRI, it is not possible to put a background image. If you know, just let me know how! So what I do is to put a poligon with a background image that I want. Then I iluminate that polygon with a distant light. At that light, I tell the light to exclude other objects that are not the background polygon.

HDRI:
I just added an hdri of the studio, with the Gamma filter correction to 2. This makes the lighing in it less black, and more nice, as in the first two renders posted here. It really depends on what HDRI you use.

FPrime:
Not many things to say, it is just too beautiful as it is. I putted montecarlo to 10 bounces. However, you can attain similar results with much less. I was just too lazy to try how many less..hehe.

There are also a lot more plenty tips I would love to share. I just need to find the way to do it in the best way. Since my english sucks more than when I write, I think a video tutorial would be kind of embarassing :o

Captain Obvious
04-12-2005, 11:36 AM
How long did it take to render that? Nice images, and bottles.

Cesar Montero
04-12-2005, 01:07 PM
How long did it take to render that? Nice images, and bottles.

Teh larger image took 300 passes in FPrime and like 2 days. This was because I added the DOF effect. I used a PowerBook G4. While the machine was rendering I was working un other things, so It would be hard to say how many time It would have taken without this.

lennartthissen
04-13-2005, 12:45 PM
that's really cool but? ..... speed modeling?? what's that :confused:

Captain Obvious
04-14-2005, 03:34 AM
I'm guessing "model something as fast as you possibly can." ;)

Cesar Montero
04-14-2005, 03:40 AM

I put a limit to myself in doing so. I put lets say, and hour. There are contest in which people put themselves a time limit to make a model. This time it was a contest just for myself. I used the term more like to say "i did the model fast, not a great deal with it". Sorry if I caused confusion :P

null studios om
04-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Really nice man,thanx :)

Cesar Montero
04-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Really nice man,thanx :)

Yeah, it was a real joy to play with all that lights :)